5 days post op, how much do I eat?

MBallard
on 2/11/13 8:31 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

I was sent home on Saturday with very minimal discharge instructions. All i can eat for the next eight weeks all i can eat is protein shakes, chicken and beef broth, sugar free jello, and sugar free popsicles. They did not say how much I should be eating at one time. In the hospital they were giving me 2 oz cups of broth and jello but my doctor wants me to drink these enormous protein shakes. I'm a little confused, do I eat until i'm not hungry anymore, or until i have pains in my stomach? because right now it seems like I can eat a whole lot in one sitting. I know my nerves were cut, so I don't get that "full feeling" yet. Someone please help. TIA

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

poet_kelly
on 2/11/13 8:40 am - OH

For eight weeks you are supposed to have nothing but clear liquids and protein shakes?  Really?

So you're not eating right now, you're drinking, right?  Liquids go right through the pouch.  Drink as much and as fast as feels comfortable.  When you start eating actual solid food, do NOT eat until you have stomach pain.  That would mean you ate too much.  Once you start getting that full feeling, you can eat until you feel full or not hungry anymore.  But until then, it's best to measure your food.  But that's food, not liquids.

Drink as much as you want. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MBallard
on 2/11/13 8:43 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

yes, my surgeon has some strange rules in my opinion. (I thought I wouldnt be able to make it through the 2 week liquid diet) little did i know... I have another question, Im also supposed to drink 100 oz of water a day. If i drank a diet snapple or diet green tea could that coudnt as my water intake?

poet_kelly
on 2/11/13 8:44 am - OH

I count all liquids toward my fluid intake, so that would mean everything you take in right now would count.  Why does he recommend so much liquid, though?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MBallard
on 2/11/13 8:49 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13

Im not sure, thats what It says on my discharge sheet, even in the hospital they gave me 8 bags of IV fluids, I was using the restroom ever hour and it was torture getting in and out of that hospital bed. My surgeon did a great job on my surgery as far as I know but for some reason he has these rules that make absolutely no sense to me. (this is also the surgeon who told me i can take 2 flinstones a day as well as chew tums for calcium).

chowell
on 2/11/13 9:20 am - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12

my dr just told me that because i am low on everything and cant get any type of pill down, crushed or not. i also thought he was crazy

Cecily Howell                

misscelia
on 2/11/13 9:46 am
I'm 5 days post op and my doctor told me that the broth, jello and Popsicles go towards my water intake but my surgeons goal for me is 58-65oz of water/fluid a day
nursekarine
on 2/11/13 11:45 am
Im six days post op......I have very thorough instructions. Im just shocked at your surgeon!! First two weeks im on full liquids meals 5 per day 2 oz. portions, along with my 46 to 64 oz. of fluid. I take on 30cc to 60cc every fifteen minutes. I take all liquid vitamins ( multi, calcium citrate, vit D, vit B, elamental iron). At week 3 I will go on pureed foods for 3 weeks, then soft, then regular. Ive had no pain, no nausea from the beginning.
The hospital I went to was awarded the Excellence Award, for best outcomes etc. I just came online for the first time tonight. The stories im reading, makes me thankful for my location and Dr.!
quiltpainter
on 2/11/13 9:55 pm - CT

Are you seeing your doctor for follow up visits within the next eight weeks. I saw my doctor three times during the first six weeks for planned regular checks. He reviewed/revised my diet at those times. Its possible you will be learning more about what to eat as you go.  I was on three protein shakes a day for the first two months also. It would take me an hour and a half to get each one down.  I don't think they were meant to be finished in one sitting like a meal would be. Your stomach is still very very small and the protein shakes are thick.  My hunger didn't really come back till about 10 weeks out. Don't be afraid to call the dr's office if you are unsure of something. The follow up is part of your surgery and being successful for the rest of your life. Good luck to you!!

SamePerson-Smaller
Package

on 2/11/13 10:10 pm
RNY on 02/01/13

I am 11 days post-op and on full liquids.  What has worked for me is setting an alarm on my cell phone for every 15 mins and drinking 2 oz at the top of every fifteen minutes.  I got these 2 oz plastic cups (my surgeon suggested the disposable bathroom cups) and I make my shake in the blender bottle and just pour it into the cups when the alarm sounds.  I am horrible at time management and needed an easy was to make sure I am getting my protein and fluid in every day. 

My doctors said 1-2 oz every 10-15 mins and at this stage everything on the listed is a fluid and counts towards your fluid requirements for the day.

I hope this helps :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 267 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 164 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 295 views