Do you swallow your vitamins -- when can I??

Sherrie P.
on 2/15/13 12:00 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

This chewing vitamin stuff is nasty.

My plan says, "can switch to swallowing pills when well tolerated."

I intend to get further input at my follow up next week.

If you swallow yours, when did you start?

I currently swallow my protonix and colace and tylenol without issue.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 2/15/13 12:20 pm - OH

If you can swallow other pills OK, you should be able to swallow vitamins OK too.

I was swallowing pills the day of surgery, but I did chewable vitamins the first couple weeks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Wanda K.
on 2/15/13 9:08 pm - Hope Mills, NC
RNY on 04/09/12

I know I took chewables until they were gone, roughly two months because I was scared the pills were going to get stuck and clog the revision (read some stories about erosion from pills) and didn't want to waste money.  I was taking pill form after that and haven't had any problems since then.  The largest pill I take is my MVI, which is a Thera-M and all the rest are smaller pills including my calcium, which are the petites.  I still do take chewable iron and vitamin C because they don't taste that bad.  I was told I could change to pill form when I wanted but chose to wait to finish the chewables first.

Wanda 

HW: 282, SW: 244.4, CW: 211, GW: 140   

SoCaPinkLady
on 2/15/13 10:27 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I hated chewable vitamins and started taking regular vitamins right away. At first I had to cut them in half but within no time I was able to just swallow them whole.

Lori                               

bbearsmama
on 2/15/13 10:27 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

I'm pre-op so I'm curious-are the chewable vitamins gross?

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Lindah55
on 2/15/13 11:00 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

I don't think chewable vitamins are gross. I have a hard time swallowing large pills so I prefer the chewable.

angeleigh
on 2/15/13 11:01 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I tried to do chewable ones, and after the first week i went back to normal pills. I went home taking normal pills for all of my prescription meds. At first I had to take my vitamins one at a time, Now i just pop all my pills at once.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

65rosesmom
on 2/15/13 11:26 pm

It took me about 3 months to be able to swallow anything bigger than the little pain pills and tiny vitamins (like D).  Now I swallow just about everything except one lemon calcium citrate chewie that I save for my little treat.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

brenlee1965
on 2/16/13 12:28 am - New Berlin, NY
I cannot stand to crush everything & my thought is that we don't have as much acid in our pouch that we had with the big ole stomach, so I was thinking that swallowing the pill would just go straight through & I wouldn't get anything from it......JUST MY THOUGHT, which may be just me being crazy....I chew my Centrum Silver Chewables (Citrus Berry) & don't mind it at all.
 Bren                
poet_kelly
on 2/16/13 11:12 am - OH

The pills will go straight through the pouch, but that's OK because we don't absorb them in our pouch.  We absorb them in the small intestine.  The ASMBS says it's fine to swallow vitamins, they are absorbed fine that way.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics