Help needed-not sure of feelings

daubbermom
on 3/18/13 10:19 am - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

Next week is my granddaughters birthday and I love,love,love birthday cake. I feel sad about not being able to eat some cake as it is tradition. I think I am blowing this out of proportion but then the tears well up. I think I feel cheated. What is going on with me? I know this is my decision but I feel so confused. I don't want to dump at my granddaughters' party so even one bite is out of the question.

Chirs H.
on 3/18/13 10:38 am - Wichita Falls, TX
I have found that the pillsbury sugar free cake mixes are delicious. I try to make sure there is one on hand for friends and family that can't have sugar.

I'm like you the thought of dumping terrifies me!
Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

Pittsteelers
on 3/18/13 12:07 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I don't see a problem with having a small bite. For birthday parties I have 1 very small bite of cake, no frosting. I am a dumper and I don't dump off of a small piece of cake.

yippeex8
on 3/18/13 12:19 pm - Jenison, MI

I had a bite of wedding cake at a month out, because of the same reason. I've avoided things like that since, but today, when I was in a horrid mood and frustrated with teenage daughter, I ate a small blueberry muffin. I started to beat myself up, but decided to call it a mistake and move on with my day. I say "go for the cake." You can choose whether to have sugar free cake, or a small piece/bite of regular. I'd avoid the frosting, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy your grandchildren!

daubbermom
on 3/18/13 12:38 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking I couldn't have the cake, but that's not true. I am choosing to take care of myself. I could go ahead if I really wanted it but I choose not to. I'm taking care of myself and I don't need to feel bad about that. Thank you all for your time.

daubbermom
on 3/18/13 12:40 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

By the way-----I had 4 teenage daughters and I am now gray. I love them but I despised the teen years. They are now all over 30 and turned out great.

shoven21187
on 3/19/13 3:47 am - Saint Paul, MN

I was 24 when I had my surgery, 26 now. I had a hard time with this- seeing all the party foods that I "can't" have. But I was at a kids birthday party feeling sorry for myself not because I wanted it but because I felt like I HAD to eat the cake for tradition sake. Then I looked around and I don't mean to be judgmental whatsoever- this is just what I saw- there were a handful of the thin and healthy adults not eating cake just because they didn't want it. They didn't need it, didn't want ti- therefore didn't eat it and no one bothered them about it. So now I have a much easier time with turning down food. I dont need it, and I dont need to eat something just because someone else wants me to. It's my body. And most of the time no one really cares- you are the one over thinking it. So good luck!! :)

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 3/19/13 4:51 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

This good to remember. I tend to not see the thin, healthy people not eating cake (which is my #1 craving, trigger, and downfall) but they are living proof that cake is entirely optional!  

Most Active
Recent Topics