Bowel Prep Pre Op

mercedes66693
on 3/24/13 7:51 pm

Ok getting personal,

Having my surgery Wed the 27th reading through all my paperwork this weekend and it's telling me to make sure I do the bowel prep.  Doctor never said anything about that all I'm expected to do is the pre op diet and liquids these next two days is this the bowel prep or do I need to be doing something else?

I know i will call the dr's it's just hard to call from my work.

JJ_
on 3/24/13 7:55 pm

I was on a meal replacement liquid diet for 3 weeks pre-op and I guess that was my bowel prep!!  I had no instructions at all with respect to this.  It looks like you will need to confirm with the surgeon's office.

Good luck on Wednesday.

Judy

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/24/13 8:24 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I didn't have to do bowel prep before surgery, but I did just have to do it before my colonoscopy. It was HORRID. I had to drink 40 oz of this disgusting salty liquid. I've heard there are other options, including one where you take a lot of pills. If I ever have to do this again I'm going to insist on that prep. Check with your doc and see what options you have.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

aquapeach
on 3/24/13 8:28 pm - Germany
RNY on 03/13/13

You should definitely call ahead of time. My bowel prep was in the hospital and it was a liquid given and soo much water to drink and then 2 pills to take.. and yes I was on a liquid diet before surgery as well.. so I would definitely call just to be on the safe side. Best of luck and success to you on your journey!

poet_kelly
on 3/24/13 9:22 pm - OH

No, that's not a bowel prep.  A bowel prep usually involves drinking something to make you poop a lot, so your bowel is empty.

Call your doc and ask if you need to do a bowel prep.  Many surgeons don't recommend doing one.  I don't see the point in it, really, because they aren't operating on your bowel (large intestine).  If you are on liquids for two days, your stomach and small intestine is going to be empty, and that's what they are operating on.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/13 10:07 pm - OH

Definitely call your surgeon's office and ask,  As the others have said, a bowel prep involves drinking special liquid (the exact type varies by surgeon) to be sure the entire bowel is empty before surgery.  If you are supposed to do one, they will tell you what liquid to get at the pharmacy (no prescription required, but sometimes it is behind the counter).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MichelleNC
on 3/24/13 11:27 pm

Ditto call your surgeon. Mine said a laxative the day before wouldn't hurt but it was a personal decision if we wanted to do it or not. I did one nothing happened LOL.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Megan S.
on 3/25/13 12:46 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I had to mix a 923mg bottle of miralax with Crystal lite.It didn't taste too bad. Just a little thick. 

BWB
on 3/25/13 1:17 am

I had 4 months of a liver reduction diet and 2 days of liquid right before surgery.  I also thought I would have to go through the bowel prep...but didn't.  I would think that for your comfort ,post op, that you would want to start out cleaned out as much as possible.  They want you up and active so maybe it isn't that big of a deal.

Most Active
Recent Topics