Newbie Pre-op not losing on 1500 cal diet

Pookah
on 3/26/13 12:52 pm - Dallas, TX

Newbie here.  I'm a pre-op and I've been on a 1,500 cal diet for about a month and a half.  I did go out to eat 3 times, but I have been very faithful to my diet, eating between 1400-1600 calories, walking 3-5x a week and cutting out soda.

I have been losing and gaining the same 10 lbs the entire time.  In fact im 1.8 lbs up from a month ago.

I am so incredibly frustrated.  I'm afraid the dr is going to think i've been cheating.  I've been meticulous with logging everything I eat in spark people.

Any words of wisdom out there?  Should I try to cut my calories more?

Thanks!

Pookah

poet_kelly
on 3/26/13 1:10 pm - OH

No, I wouldn't cut your calories more at this point.  I would talk to your doctor, show him your food log, and ask for advice.  And I would be honest - if you've "cheated" on the diet sometimes, admit it.  because not admitting it only cheats yourself, you know?  the doctor's job is to help you lose weight.  He can't do that if you're not honest with him.

Please understand, I'm not saying I think you've been cheating.  I'm just saying, be honest.

Probably your metabolism is not so good, which is probably part of why you're needing to have wls to begin with..  If your doctor doesn't understand that, you might need to see a different doctor.

If your doctor advises reducing your calories more, than do so.  but talk to him, or to a registered dietician, first.

One thing you might try now, though, is increasing the exercise.  I kind of hate telling people that, since I exercise so little myself.  But basically, if you want to lose weight, usually you can either eat less or move more, or some of both.  Since your body needs a certain amount of calories in order to function well, and you're not eating that many calories right now, I'd try moving more.  either walk more days a week, or walk faster, or walk for longer periods of time.  Or a little of each of those things.  Don't get overwhelmed by it, though.  Just try increasing it a litlte bit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pookah
on 3/26/13 1:51 pm - Dallas, TX

Thanks for your advice, Kelly!

I do have hypothyroidism which I know isn't helping.  And I know a few of the meds I take aren't helping, (I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis). And of course eating out the three times probably hasn't helped but I can't imagine it would be still giving me problems.

I am going to try to increase my activity and hope that my nutritionist can give me some answers on Thursday. I'm just nervous as heck and a bit anxious.  Thursday is also my psych consult and I am worried my dissociative disorder might count against me.

poet_kelly
on 3/26/13 6:17 pm - OH

The dissociative disorder won't count against you.  what they're going to want to know is if you're getting treatment for it and if it's affecting your ability to stick to a meal plan and stuff like that.

I have dissociative identity disorder, as well as PTSD and depression.  Are you sure that, with your dissociative disorder, you're not eating more than you realize?  Just a thought.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pookah
on 3/27/13 7:36 am - Dallas, TX

Oh wow! Didn't expect to find a fellow DIDer around! It is a great question, and since I still have occasional amnesia, I can't be 100% sure.  That said, I'm pretty sure that isn't what is going on. 

The reason I'm nervous about the DID, is I find most people uneducated about the subject, and likely to assume things about me that are not in any way true.  Also, I'm a worrier!

Only one more day til I see the nutritionist and get my psych consult - maybe then I can come off the walls. :D

poet_kelly
on 3/27/13 7:42 am - OH

There are actually a couple other people that post here occasionally that have DID, as well.

I know many people are uneducated about it.  I had my psychiatrist that I'd been seeing for several years do my psych eval.  That seemed much easier than seeing someone I'd never seen before and that I had no idea what they knew or thought about DID.

gbsinsatx
on 3/27/13 1:36 am - San Antonio, TX

I have Hypothyroidism and take Armour Thyroid. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and take Cimzia and Placquenil. I ate 1200 calories for my 3 month pre-op diet and lost 50 pounds. Please see my profile page if interested.

I am pretty knowledgeable about nutrition and I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.

Our bodies are all different so I do not expect you to attain the same results as me. The most important thing is to be honest with yourself and your doctor as Kelly already mentioned. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Pookah
on 3/27/13 7:40 am - Dallas, TX

Thanks for your reply! And what an awesome pre-op weight loss.

I'm hoping they lower my calories when I go in tomorrow.  My concern was that they wouldn't believe me and just tell me to keep trying with the 1500 cal when it obviously isn't working for me.

This is the same problem I was having on WW the last time, so I'm wondering if my body is too dang efficient?

Pookah
on 3/27/13 8:13 am - Dallas, TX

Just looked at your profile page, and you have tons of helpful ideas there.  I have to look some of these foods up!  Thanks for sharing. :D

chickenoregg
on 3/26/13 2:28 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
Are you taking thyroid meds? Is your hypothyroidism controlled? If not, I'd be amazed if you had energy to exercise more.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics