Travel after RNY...a little long...

TomN
on 3/29/13 11:03 pm
RNY on 12/27/12 with
I just finished a six day trip on the road for work. Only three months post op I was anxious to see how I would handle getting all of my meals and fluids in. Long story short I ate at several restaurants, drank over 100 oz of fluid a day and kept to my plan...pouch had no trouble. A few observations I would throw out there for others that are headed out there...

1. Waitresses are conditioned to keep your drink full...even water...and most will even ask, some several times, if you are SURE, you don't need anything else to drink.

2. Portions, even when you ask for half of a portion, are much larger than we need. My advice, that I have seen here before, place what you will eat on one side of the plate and either cover the rest with a napkin if you are not taking leftovers, when you do not have refrigeration in your hotel, or ask for a to go box right away and put the extra in the box.

3. Still being a larger individual who is SMO, expect the wait staff to ask a few times if everything is OK as they are used to seeing people like us eat far more than we are. Even if you tell them, as I did one person because she just kept asking, I guess her asking if I wanted desert should not have surprised me.

4. Remember your plan...a lot of horrible choices on menus...went to my favorite chicken wing place in Buffalo with my cousin and had...a cup of chili! I could have tried a wing I guess but did not want to chance the skin with my pouch.

5. Make sure when purchasing flavored water in a convenience store at night when you are driving ove an hour that the water is not sparkling. A couple good belches later I was ok but I did only have a sip!

6. It is possible and I was consistently amazed by the memories of what I used to eat vs. what I need to eat now...eating to live instead of living to eat...getting busy living instead of getting busy dying...I had dinner with my nephew one night and had a quesadilla...six pieces...I ate two for dinner, two for lunch the next day and my nephew had the other two pieces. Just three months ago the whole thing would have been an appetizer.

Looking forward to getting on a scale at he end of this month...haven't been on one in a little over two months and excited to see the progress I have made. I can sat that I can now tie my shoes again which is a nice NSV for me.

Continued succes to you all!

Michelle W.
on 3/29/13 11:16 pm
RNY on 03/13/13

Thanks for the tips! Glad to hear how a little willpower can go such a long way. I'm thinking of taking a job that would require a lot of travel and living in hotels for a month at a time, driving up to 6 hours one-way to reach those places, etc. I never really thought of what it would be like to live out of a suitcase post-op. Your post has thankfully opened me up to consider that while considering the job!

MyLady Heidi
on 3/29/13 11:17 pm, edited 3/29/13 11:18 pm

Congrats on your success.  I had to travel a few times after surgery for work with two other ladies from my company.  We went to this lovely restaurant one night and I ordered a chicken and artichoke lasagna in a white sauce, I figured I would eat the meat and cheese.  Well it tasted great but must have been too rich, I literally ran to the bathroom but could not throw up.  I was so sick I thought I would die.  I never realized how much I had limited my diet after surgery until that experience.  After that it was back to shrimp ****tail and simple meat dishes for dinner, no sauce.  And this happened probably 2 years after surgery.

Have2laugh
on 3/30/13 1:53 am - Cheektowaga, NY

A bit off topic but what is your favorite wing place? Mine is Duff's.

i hope that I can be as good as you in restaurants. My surgery is in 12 days.

TomN
on 3/30/13 2:27 am
RNY on 12/27/12 with
Duff's all the way...hot! Usually hit the one on Sheridan. Wishing you the best on your surgery...honestly don't know why I waited so long but I guess we all get ready on our own time. Welcome to the bench...

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 293 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views