Calcium citrate makes me gag - Please help!!!!

Lori Risner
on 4/10/13 4:31 am - OR
RNY on 03/12/13

Hi there!  My name is Lori.  I had RNY on 3/12/13. My doctor reccomended that I take Citrical petites cut in half.  I tried...  For some stupid and weird reason, the feeling of a pill on my tongue makes me gag!  I know I sound like a wimp but I just cannot do it.  Is there a somewhat ok tasting chewable out there? LOL!

I really appreciate your input!

Lori

Blessings on your day!

scattebury
on 4/10/13 5:01 am - MO
RNY on 01/23/13

I like the Calcet creamy bites that i get on Amazon.  They make chocolate and lemon and they are very creamy.  Like little brownie bites or something.  Although I will say now after my surgery I find them very filling!  It takes me much longer to get one down.  Before I'd just pop them like candy.    Just remember not to take your iron and calcium within 2 hours of each other. 

poet_kelly
on 4/10/13 5:33 am - OH

I like Calcet creamy bites from Celebrate and also the Bariatric Advantage caramel calcium chews.  I also like Upcal D, which is a powder you can add to any drink.  I usually put it in a protein shake and can't taste it at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ShadowHR
on 4/10/13 5:43 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

My surgeon recommends Tums for calcium, there are the regular and smoothies and lots of great favors.  Ask your dr. And see?

good luck

Surgery Weight 245

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/13 6:38 am

Tums are not the right calcium for us. WE need calcium citrate.

There are a lot of vets that took Tums based on their doc recommendation - now they deal with serious bones issue.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 4/10/13 6:47 am - OH

Tums are calcium carbonate, which RNY folks can't absorb due to the lack of stomach acid after RNY.  We need calcium citrate, as recommended by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  You might want to ask your surgeon why he is recommending calcium carbonate and why he disagrees with the ASMBS on this matter. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mani_heart
on 4/10/13 6:07 am
RNY on 03/18/13

I had trouble with the calcium pills as well so now I take Calcium citrate liquid, 1 tablespoon 3 times a day.

sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 4/10/13 6:15 am - IN

I now use the bariatric advantage chews for the same reason. they have a bit of an aftertaste, but I tolerate them better than the petites. I was over taking 6 petites per day. Cut in 1/2, that like 12 pills. 

~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
65rosesmom
on 4/10/13 10:08 am

The chewy bites are great...I love the,. but they are expensive and you need sooooo many in one day to get all your calcium in (8 for me).   If you can afford them to get through this gagging period, I'd definitely go for it.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

bbearsmama
on 4/10/13 12:45 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Those (Citracal petites) gross me out, too. I took the whole pill, which still seems big even though it is petite. I like the Bariatric Advantage raspberry calcium chews.  The lemon ones are good too. It's like taking a Starburst 3 times per day!! :)

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Most Active