constipation blood?

yary500
on 4/23/13 4:38 pm
RNY on 03/14/13
Ok so i been having constipation since day 1 after about 6 weeks ago. I dont use d bathroom days n days pass d only way is using phillips or miralax. Doc told me not to use them cuz i become dependent on them but i have no other choice cuz it hurts. Even with d medicine it hurts today wanted to ask if its normal.This isas painful as having a baby i cry everytime i do it. today i did it d stool was really pale but it was full of blood. So is it normal to have blood in d stool?
MyLady Heidi
on 4/23/13 6:20 pm

Is the blood red and from straining hemorroids?  That can happen, but in your case you need to see your doctor because you cannot go that long without going, it cannot be that painful each time and even if it is just bleeding hemorroids that is still not good and if the blood is from anywhere else it is dangerous and could be life threatening.  

Kat Kat
on 4/23/13 6:29 pm - AZ

I suspect the blood is from straining.  Constipation is a common complaint after this surgery. You'll find quite a few people here on the forum as well as myself use Miralax on a regular basis. If you do a Google search, you'll find the doctors information might not be quite so accurate. Perhaps armed with a little more information you can discuss this subject with him/her again. I have also had to resort to using glycerin suppositories on the rare occasions when things got really bad, so you might want try them out too. I always tough it out, then  finally give up and use one. Afterward, I always wonder why I suffered so long because they usually work well within and hour.

Kat

Sheila W.
on 4/23/13 6:36 pm

You have got to take something daily to keep it soft.  The only thing you do not want to take on a daily basis is a stimulant according to my MD.  MOM, Miralax and softeners work by pulling fluid into the bowel and help keep things moving.  It has been so bad for me before that I felt like I was birthing a baby out my bottom.  I have also had blood but if it is bright red that is a sign that it is right at your rectum and therefore could be a fissure or hemorrhoid.  I take two Colace, and Mag Ox daily.  I also throw in Miralax a couple of times a week and if I haven't gone by day two I will add in a ducolax which is a stimulant and I try to stay away from those. I make sure I have a BM atleast every other day or I really pay for it.   I'm down to about once a week for ducolax now so things are improving.  I am six months out and dealing with the constipation has been the hardest part of this whole process for me.  Was not warned before hand about it and wish I was because might have been able to prepare. 

Listen closely: the only time it's too late to change yourself is when you're dead. Until then, you're simply making excuses or lying to yourself. HW 350 SW 324  SD10/19/12

poet_kelly
on 4/23/13 9:05 pm - OH

It is not normal for stool to be full of blood, no.  If you had to strain a lot, there might be a little blood on the stool, but if your stool is full of blood, I would call your doc right away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JanBooth
on 4/23/13 9:40 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I had problems with constipation since surgery, too.  Also, having had some blood in, or on stool from hemorrhoids that I had prior to surgery and have worsened with the straining from hard stools.  My doctor doesn't want me to take things like Miralax or MOM unless other methods have failed, and even then not on a regular basis.  I've been using Metamucil to add fiber and increasing fluids, occasionally I use either a glycerin suppository or an enema. 
Two weeks ago, I had my gallbladder removed, along with a hernia repair, since that surgery it's like I'm a new person!  I go pretty normally.  My diet doesn't consist of much fats, but I think it may be the little that I do take in, in addition to the no gallbladder, it's helping to move things along.  Either that, or my body is adjusting to change? 
Oh, and my stools have been very pale, too.  Almost white.  My surgeon said it just depends on what you eat, your medications, etc. 
Good luck to you.  I know it's miserable

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

selhard
on 4/24/13 12:00 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

FYI for Miralax users:  Walgreen's Drug Store has their own store brand version on sale Buy One Get One Free.  Stock up!!

yary500
on 4/24/13 11:19 am
RNY on 03/14/13

OK THANK U VERY MUCH I WILL DEFINALLY CALL MY DOC TO SEE WHAT HE THINKS.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/24/13 11:49 am - OH

Instead of stool softeners or laxatives, I would suggest taking a fiber supplement such as Benefiber (Walmart has a cheaper, generic version).  It is truly tasteless and dissolves completely in any liquid.  That helps PREVENT the problem rather than treating it AFTER it is already a problem.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views