My doctor and nutritionist are not happy with me :(

honestlinzel
on 4/26/13 1:25 pm - CA

Basically I need to eat more, drink more. DUH. I have lost 37lbs total. I am 2 weeks post op, and not really worried about the numbers. I mean, its great to see the numbers go down but I know what the over all goal is. I just want to be healthy.

Now, I have having a hard time with both fluids and food. I am on the soft phase. I am terrified of eating because whenever I eat, I get crazy pain and feel like I have to run to the bathroom. (not to puke...if you know what I am saying)

Yesterday I was put on soft foods. I tried 4 TINY pieces of chicken. Sick for hours with pain. I had to go to bed early. Today, I tried some tuna. SAME ISSUES.

This gets easier right?

The positive thing, I haven't been dizzy once today. Probably because I have been forcing to drink water with crystal light. What other drink options do you guys have? I know there is the 15cal lemonade, I have those. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Amarieware
on 4/26/13 1:46 pm
RNY on 04/01/13
Only thing is that I've been eating chicken... It was probably the fat like you said befor.. I will not be trying it again to find out though lol!! It does get easier don't get discouraged!! I questioned myself several times if I had made the right choice..
honestlinzel
on 4/26/13 2:04 pm - CA
On April 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM Pacific Time, Amarieware wrote:
Only thing is that I've been eating chicken... It was probably the fat like you said befor.. I will not be trying it again to find out though lol!! It does get easier don't get discouraged!! I questioned myself several times if I had made the right choice..

I am ok with my choice, just tired of getting sick or being in pain when I eat. I hate that heavy feeling in my chest too :(

whine whine whine. this is me. haha

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/26/13 2:18 pm
Dehydration is nothing to fool with. My number one tip for liquid intake is hot no caffeine herbal tea. It comes in lots of flavors.
Chicken and tuna were not soft foods for me. I think you might have an easier time with something like refried beans or Greek yogurt. Chicken is a top offender for new post ops.
You must get your fluids in, and you may need to try several things until you find a method that works for you.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ncmgs
on 4/26/13 2:29 pm - Mechanic Falls, ME

Eat lots of greek yogurt, pureed bean soup. refried beans. You can mix the yogurt with applesauce or puree canned fruit (low sugar natural juice)  Everything should be very wet. I still do not tolerate chicken or eggs well at 14 weeks out unless they are really wet, like in soup. Leftover meat is hard for me, I think it dries out too much. I do fine with most beef, scallops, shrimp, most fresh fish, beans or chili. Once I was on regular foods I was able to add high protein cereal (8weeks) and protein bars (11 weeks). I couldn't stomach protein drinks for a many weeks, but am back to them now.

Tiggybeep
on 4/26/13 5:49 pm
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Water for me got old at some point in the near-distant past.  I've been living off of herbal teas, the occasional glass of skim milk (I need the kcal at this point!), and good ole love-it-but-hate-it Isopure water-based protein drink.  One of my docs had me add in gatorade g2 for the electrolytes.  That's been working okay so far.  I tried all the 0 kcal flavored waters and fell out of love with them quite quickly.  Crystal light helps sometimes.  Other times, less so.  But switching between hot (decaf tea) and then cold **** water) has been the most effective.  I'm probably still under what I should be, but am getting closer.

Re: the soft foods, I'm right there with you.  I've been the equivalent of double-dog-dared by my nutritionist to try a whole list of foods (scroll back a few pages to my post about GOOD nutritional visit), prior to her returning from a week's vacation.  So far I've had 2 successes and one "I think I'll wait a bit before trying that again".  You may laugh, but I'm having the opposite potty problem - takes me several days to go.  If that keeps up, I'm guessing one of my docs will stick me on something to help out.  (next psychopharm appointment = Tuesday; next internist appointment = Friday). 

This drinking and eating business is a full time job, I tell ya!

honestlinzel
on 4/26/13 7:40 pm - CA
On April 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM Pacific Time, Tiggybeep wrote:

Water for me got old at some point in the near-distant past.  I've been living off of herbal teas, the occasional glass of skim milk (I need the kcal at this point!), and good ole love-it-but-hate-it Isopure water-based protein drink.  One of my docs had me add in gatorade g2 for the electrolytes.  That's been working okay so far.  I tried all the 0 kcal flavored waters and fell out of love with them quite quickly.  Crystal light helps sometimes.  Other times, less so.  But switching between hot (decaf tea) and then cold **** water) has been the most effective.  I'm probably still under what I should be, but am getting closer.

Re: the soft foods, I'm right there with you.  I've been the equivalent of double-dog-dared by my nutritionist to try a whole list of foods (scroll back a few pages to my post about GOOD nutritional visit), prior to her returning from a week's vacation.  So far I've had 2 successes and one "I think I'll wait a bit before trying that again".  You may laugh, but I'm having the opposite potty problem - takes me several days to go.  If that keeps up, I'm guessing one of my docs will stick me on something to help out.  (next psychopharm appointment = Tuesday; next internist appointment = Friday). 

This drinking and eating business is a full time job, I tell ya!

I will try some caffeine free herbal teas. Maybe I can get some tomorrow!

I won't be going near chicken again. However, tonight I had salmon and it was fabulous! I just need to focus on the drinking and fluids more. I cannot stand any protein drinks, even the isopure makes me not feel well.

I will go back and look up your other post! Thanks!!!

As far as the TMI potty issue. I go every 3-4 days, unless I eat something then I am in the bathroom for the next 2 days straight. :(

Sara O.
on 4/26/13 10:54 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

For soft foods stage I recommend greek yogurt and scrambled eggs.

p.s. It gets better and easier. I am over a year out and I'm doing fine. :)

audrabeth
on 4/26/13 11:00 pm - PA

Early out I lived on ricotta cheese with low sugar sauce baked.  Loved it!! I am a year out.... May have to make it again,  yum!!!

onmom
on 4/27/13 12:06 am

chicken is often hard as is eggs. I would do greek  yogurt, shaved as thin as possible deli meat cottage cheese mashed beans and ground meat cooked slowly in sauce. I loved meatballs at this stage. Still 11 months out eggs chicken cheese are hit and miss.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 234 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 105 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?