Onederland! Finally!!!!!!!!!

Ocalasam
on 5/5/13 10:56 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Seemed like it would never happen!  I finally am at 199!  I haven't been this small in 10 years!  Now EVERYONE notices my weight loss - I tell the truth and tell them that I had weight loss surgery. . . but I also add that I have drastically adjusted my diet to high protein and very low carbs, no soda, no bread, no pasta, no sugar and that I work out 3 times a week.   I don't tell anyone if they don't ask me directly "how I did it" and I know it's no one's business, but I have the hardest time lying to someone's face, so I just tell the truth.  I have gotten nothing but support so far, but I definitely wasn't planning on telling everyone!!!

Do you tell the truth about your weightloss????

Pittsteelers
on 5/5/13 11:17 pm, edited 5/6/13 6:15 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
After I got my approval I told people. I didn't like telling people because they would say I didn't need it, but I knew I did and am very happy I had it done.

Congrats on making it to onederland!!!!!!

Soapy
on 5/5/13 11:18 pm

Congratulations. I am on week 6 and yes I tell people about my surgery. I have worked at the same place for 18 years, my co-workers have watched me struggle with my weight-dieting.... the whole time. I figure if I was out for two weeks and then came back and all of a sudden started dropping weight, it would be obvious so I have not tried to hide it. Everyone I have told has been supportive. The lovely part is that many have said that I didn't need it-these are the people who truly love me and meant it-love can be blind lol.

Barbara C.
on 5/5/13 11:40 pm - Raleigh, NC

Congratulations on your success and welcome to the Wonderful World of Onderland!!

Regarding 'telling the truth' about your weight loss. I believe that it's an individual decision and that there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' way to approach this issue. Personally, I'm like you; if someone asks me if I had surgery, I tell them yes. Often, if they ask me how I lost my weight, I'll just tell them that I had WLS which gave me the tool to allow me to successfully lose my excess weight and maintain that loss in the long term. That said, there are a number of people in my support group that would rather keep their private health information private and would rather not discuss their WLS. I've had some of them ask me how to handle it since they don't want to discuss their WLS, but don't want to lie either. I have suggested that they say that they are working with their doctor, following the diet that their registered dietician has prescribed, along with a new fitness program. Basically, they share the same information that you have shared, but they just don't share the fact that they have had surgery. Either way, I think that people need to do what works for them.

Again, congratulations and wishing you continued success,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Mary Catherine
on 5/6/13 12:09 am

In the beginning I told everyone.  Family, co-workers, the clerks at Walmart, the lady at Dillards, the waitress at the restaurant, and cashier at the grocery store all knew when I was scheduled, what I was eating after surgery and what my weight was on that particular day.

Now I have lived this new lifestyle for years.  I have a different job, different friends, and there are different workers at the places where I shop and eat.  There is really no reason for the topic to come up. I am struggling right now with wanting to give my sister advice.  She is very heavy and having a lot of problems.  There was a family discussion yesterday about how she should plan three meals and only eat properly and the weight would come off. 

I wanted to say that surgery is the only answer for her, but just did not comment.  Surgery is the only answer for almost every obese person, but only if that person is ready to give up their old ways and start a new healthy way of eating, exercising and being accountable for their own health.

Once you lose your weight and keep it off, nobody will be asking you about it.  Once in a while people comment on how little I eat.  I try to order an amount of food that I can actually finish.  I drink with my meals and eat a small amount of dessert.  I don't want to look or act different and most people think that I am just naturally slim and healthy.   

Dee.spunk
on 5/6/13 12:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Congrats!

I don't tell everyone. I tell people I'm comfortable with. But if its someone I hardly ever talk to, no, I don't even mention it.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Lisa_Douglas
on 5/6/13 12:18 am
RNY on 05/20/13

What a ONEderful accomplishment!! Congratulations!!!!

Karen R.
on 5/6/13 1:15 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Congratulations on your weight loss! 

I told everyone about my surgery.  One, because I have a hard time lying to people about stuff like that.  And two, because if I was going to be away from work for tests, and then the surgery and post-op care, I knew people were going to worry, particularly if when I came back, I started losing weight like crazy. 

People have been overwhelmingly supportive and positive.  I've had one or two people say something like, "Could you just lose weight with a diet?"  I always answer, "If I could, don't you think I'd have done it by now?"

That tends to end the conversation.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views