YO YO DIETING

glad2balive
on 5/6/13 6:26 am, edited 5/6/13 6:41 am

I thought I was through dieting. I did not view my surgery as a means to an end but a tool to learn how to eat and live more healthy.  However, my body has let me down. I know some of you do not understand me or may be tired of my frustration but I need to vent. I am watching my intake of proteins, fluids, and exercising while keeping a food journal but not losing. I have been advised to stop drinking my calories including protein shakes and go on a diet that limits protein and focus on veggies and fruits. I do not know what else to try.

I have tried diets recently to jump start my weight loss and nothing has worked. I do not want to damage my body. Had I not had surgery and tried these diets I am sure I would have lost weight because they were low in calories and basically slider foods. I know I am whining but I really am begging my body to cooperate. I wish I could fix this myself.

I will continue to eat and exercise and drink my water. I just wish someone could help me. The doctor said I had gained some weight and needed to lose but I do not have a NUT or surgeon any longer. I have been trying and fluctuate a few pounds and stay stuck. 

I was told that I am past the honeymoon phase and will stay stuck. Am I destined to be one of those *****gains her weight despite her efforts? 

I understand your body needs a variety of nutrients to stay healthy that is why I am drinking protein shakes 2 times a day and one meal (salad or chicken w/some veggies) with a greek yogurt or two. I walk twice a day or do yoga. I feel so defeated by my body. I did not have this surgery and go through what all I have went through to be stuck with this body. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/6/13 6:38 am - OH

If you are SURE that you would have lost weight on a low calorie diet of slider foods, there is no law that says you cannot do that now.  I personally am skeptical, but that's just me.

Also, you mention watching protein, fluids, and exercise, but what about carbs?  Often too many carbs, even healthy ones, can keep you from losing weight.  Personally, I think it would be extremely foolhardy of you to abandon protein and  focus on fruits and veggies which are primarily sugar/carbs.  Are you prepared to eat the amounts of vegetables needed to get in enough protein (especially if you also abandon dairy products)?

I don't know your story -- how far out you are, how tall you are and what you weigh, or what you WANT to weigh -- but have you considered the possibility that your body is happy where it is?  It might not be where you WANT it to be, but maybe that is where your body is content (and nothing short of exercising like a fiend and/or starving yourself (forever) will budge it).  This might not apply to you if you still have quite a bit to lose.  If that is the case, have you had any metabolic workups done? 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/6/13 6:44 am
I think limiting protein after rny is wrong. I do think you might have more sucess if you eat several small protein forward meals a day. Protein drinks will not keep you satisfied.
The nutrients you need should come from food and vitamins. I do not think you are doomed. It may be harder and slower but it's still possible to lose weight.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

poet_kelly
on 5/6/13 6:49 am - OH

I would schedule an appointment with a registered dietician (not a nutritionist, but a registered dietician) that is experienced with RNY patients.  I would take my food journal to that appointment and get some expert advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views