Weigh In? How often or When do you weigh In??

CosmoK
on 5/16/13 11:58 pm

Do you guys have the power to weigh lets say once a week?   How often do you guys weight in? I had surgery on Monday and think I will weigh in every 2 weeks.. Should this be adequate?  I don't really care to weigh in every or twice a week because of the minds games that scale throws at you ahhaahah!! But at the same time I want to enjoy seeing the weight go down.. What do you all think :)

Highest Weight: 468 Pounds, Pre Op Diet Weight: 436 Pounds, Surgery Weight: 423 Pounds

Surgery Date 5-13-13 with Dr Roy Cobean Portland Maine.. Casco Bay Surgeries!!!  Wonderful place!!

angeleigh
on 5/17/13 12:03 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I was doing it once a week, every Sunday morning before i got ready for the day. Now I really dont weight my self to often maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I go more by how my clothes fit.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

alaskasusan
on 5/17/13 12:11 am, edited 5/17/13 12:11 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Surgery 3 months ago and it has been so excruciatingly slow that I decided to weigh in only twice a month as well.  It works for me as that way I might see progress whereas for 6 weeks I lost nothing and that weekly weigh in was too hard to take!  I like that schedule as it keeps me on track without the daily (or weekly) disappointment and subsequent anguish :o)

My little weight ticker below is from when I joined O.H. - since surgery I've now lost 40 lb.

signrwoman
on 5/17/13 12:24 am - TN

I had my surgery 2 months ago, and I weigh once a day, in the morning, before my shower.  Not to see so much how much I've lost, but to keep those little pounds from creeping up on me. If there is any gain, I know I'm either doing something wrong, or it may just be from exercise.  I have lost 68 pounds since I started my pre op diet in December.  Just keep swimming...just keep swimming :)  The "weighing every day" tip came from my support group that meets once a month.  People  five years out still doing that.  I'm going to stick with it.

Wishing_Well
on 5/17/13 12:26 am - Urbana, OH
RNY on 04/08/13
I weigh myself every morning, right after I potty. I hop on the scale naked to have a more accurate reading. I do this daily so I can keep track. I would be better able to determine when and if a stall had occured.

Kim S.
on 5/17/13 12:38 am - Helena, AL

The first year, when I was losing, I weighed every Friday morning.  Now, 3 years into maintenance, I weigh once a month.  I keep the scale in the basement so I don't see it all the time.....I promised myself when I started this I WOULD NOT let a scale determine how I felt about myself, I'd only use it as a tool to track weight lost.

I KNOW when I'm up a few (like now) because I can feel it in my clothes....I'm up 4 lbs right now and am upping the running to take care of it. I "bobble" around in a 5 lb range, and when I get close to the top of that 5, I feel it!

MrsLitch
on 5/17/13 12:40 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I'm a daily weigher and tracker. I've learned so much about my body in the last year, fluctuations, slow downs etc. being the geek that I am and watching how what I eat, drink, bms and how my body reacts has been a great learning process for me. I am not one who freaks out if I see a two pound gain as I've learned that's what my body does before a loss. I've learned that if my waist goes up by an inch or two I need to take mom or I'm going to have painful constipation that requires a suppository tmi sorry, but just trying to show the things we can learn about our body.

With that being said, if weight loss plateaus, or slight gains will bother or discourage you I don't suggest daily weighing. You have to find what you are comfortable with.

I also suggest not just weighing but take all your measurements, if you have a stall you'll often notice inches dropping. Also take photos along the way. For many of us we don't see the loss in the mirror, having photos to compare will allow us to see the changes easier.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

beverlyp
on 5/17/13 12:48 am

My morning schedule...slap alarm clock into submission...think of what I have to do that day...drag myself out of bed...find caffeine (I Know)..head to the potty...jump on scale...either walk around teed the rest of the morning thinking "DANG IT" or float around on a cloud of happiness depending on what Mr. scale tells me. 

Karen R.
on 5/17/13 1:03 am
RNY on 04/14/13

I'd planned to weigh in daily for the first two weeks (because I was fairly certain I'd be losing regularly).  Then after that, I thought I'd climb on the scale once a week.  That didn't last very long.  :-)  I'm still weighing myself each morning.  I measure myself once a month.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/13 1:32 am - OH

I weighed every couple of days at first, then got into the trap of weighing everyday by several weeks out.  When I realized that I was becoming scale obsessed and feeling down if the scale didn't move for a couple of days, I started weighing just once a week.  I continue to do so at almost 6 years out.  If there is a big change, I will wait two days and re-weigh (just to make sure it was a water fluctuation).  I like weighing once a week because it is frequent enough to catch true regain while it is still under 5 pounds, but not so often that it gives my weight more importance in my life than I believe it deserves.  Weighing more frequently, IMO, subjects you to too much of a view into the normal water (or constipation, etc.) variations that have nothing at all to do with fat. 

For me (and your experience may be different), when I was losing I needed the weekly affirmation/reward of seeing the scale change (and after a year out and was eating more carbs and larger portions, and was still losing but very slowly, I needed to see when the scale was NOT moving because that was a clue that I needed to re-examine what I was eating).  Every two weeks would have been too infrequent for me in either phase. Once I got to maintenance, though, it was more about just needing to keep an eye out for regain and I do not want to give food so much power that I have to adjust my eating every single day based on what is almost certainly water weight as some do.  That makes WAY too much of my life about what I eat and what I weigh.  I still try to be VERY mindful of what I eat, but it isn;t tied to the scale so it seems much more "normal".

I also have a self-imposed 5 pound regain.  If my weight creeps up 4 or 5 pounds, I increase my protein a bit, eliminate all carbs not associated with protein (like in dairy or beans), and try to increase my water.  Usually that takes care of those excess pounds in 2 weeks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 182 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?