Diet Progression

Brandi O.
on 5/18/13 5:29 pm - TX
RNY on 05/13/13 with

I'm 5 days post-op and I feel like a million dollars... so I decided to test my pouch.  I took a sip of a "phase 2" protein shake today and it was like it never even happened.  I've been "eating" the very strained broth of canned soup, including some pretty spicy ones and besides some gas, no problems.   I've been looking forward to eating oatmeal and have been really forcing myself to wait...

My question is... Do I progress my diet when I'm ready or do I strictly follow my given plan?

Also, how long after surgery do you feel the "full" sensation or signals?  Am I supposed to feel "full" when I drink broth?

Thanks in advance!

VintageChick
on 5/18/13 7:49 pm
I had surgery 2 days after you so I can't give you advice from experience, only this. I will not deviate off my surgeon's plan. He is the one who is the expert on my new anatomy, and the guide he laid out for me to follow came after years of evidenced-based practice. I had complications and just refuse to not take full advantage of this opportunity to lose weight and get healthy.

I'm envious that you feel so well! Congrats on having a great experience! I hurt, even with the pain meds. Like you though, I'm wondering when, and if, my full signal will return. After so many nerves were cut, I expect it it be a while. : )
Karen8268
on 5/18/13 8:54 pm - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
Stick to your plan. Your surgeon has guidelines for a reason.
A little concerning that you are already thinking of "straying" only 5 days out.....
Good luck on your journey. I hope you continue to feel great!

poet_kelly
on 5/18/13 9:25 pm - OH

I would stick to your plan.  However, you could give your surgeon's office a call tomorrow and ask them.

You probably won't feel full on broth since it doesn't stay in the pouch long at all.  Also, since they cut the nerves that tell your brain when you're full during the surgery, you may not feel very full on anything right now, until those nerves heal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brzmom
on 5/18/13 9:56 pm - MO
RNY on 08/08/12

I would follow the plan but that being said I did not. I progressed as I thought I could and tried new things as I thought I could.  I did follow what type of things to have as I progressed but progressed at a faster pace.  Now at 9 months out I can eat just about anything which is good and bad!  I still don't feel full like I used to unless I eat to much.  I start to burp, that tells me to stop, but sometimes that doesn't happen so I just have to stop on my own after I think I have eaten enough.  Good luck to you!

just_little_ole_me
on 5/18/13 11:31 pm - Hurt, VA
Don't risk undoing the surgical work on the inside with food while it is still healing.

MandyinTX
on 5/18/13 11:38 pm
I am 2 days out now, and doung well, I am tired. Taking everything slow. I plan to follow whatever my doctor says I need to do ( food, vitamuns, exercise ect) do mot rush the process.

Surgery date: May 17, 2013  Surgery: Gastric Bypass   Doctor:Joya Location: Puerta Vallarta Mexico

Seeing myself in a picture changed my life, I finally said no more. What ever I have to do to make my dreams come true I will do it!! And little did I know that's when my journey would begin! And so here I go!! :)

PetHairMagnet
on 5/19/13 12:05 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I had surgery 13 May. My doctor had me drinking 30 ml of water 6 hours post op, and each hour thereafter until 7a the following morning when I was given an 11 oz. protein shake and asked to fini**** by 7p that night if I felt I could. I could only drink 8 oz over the course of 12 hours. I felt VERY full after each sip. Taking my meds (I am on hormones and of course the pain meds) filled me up quickly! One pill and 30 ml of water made me full.

I thankfully have had NO gas problems at all, my poor husband suffered from that for a long time after surgery.

Were it me, I would let my doctor know I did not feel full after a serving of broth. While it did not make me feel full for long on my 22 days of liquid diet pre-op, it DID make me feel full for an hour. You are saying you don't feel full ever/at all post-op?

And no way on earth would I go off my prescribed return to food plan by my doctor. Even if you are feeling great, you have stitches and all sorts of things going on internally that need to heal and be 'calm' and I'd not want to rock that boat in the slightest!

doloresd
on 5/19/13 2:48 am - FL

Following your Dr's guidelines is part of the journey

jensieck76
on 5/19/13 5:05 am - TX
I would stick with the plan! Being only 6 days out I know its hard but its for a good reason!! Dont wanna hurt our new tummys! You can do it!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 269 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views