When can you eat salads

mercedes66693
on 6/20/13 4:49 am

Hello everyone

how far out do you have to be before you can eat salads. I'm 12 weed and tried a chicken Caesar salad today and I've been having it come back up for the past hour?

poet_kelly
on 6/20/13 4:51 am - OH

Well, you should wait until your doc's plan says it's OK to try them.  My plan said it was OK at eight weeks post op and I had no trouble with them when I tried them the first time.  If your plan says it's OK now but you're having trouble, I'd wait a couple weeks and then try again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 6/20/13 4:59 am

Beyond your doctors orders you can eat them when your stomach will tolerate it.  It isn't something that I can usually eat.  It sounds good and looks good but I do dump most of the time.

Texas Girl
on 6/20/13 5:11 am

It has been so long ago since my surgery, I  remember I stuck to a meal plan. I still dump on some foods. Every meal is an adventure. Ask you Doctor.  Congrats on your surgery. Hope your journey is comfortable.

Conniewink

Dee.spunk
on 6/20/13 6:10 am - Sacramento, CA
I'd stick to whatever your plan says. Mine allowed it after a few months, but I ate my first salad at about a year out. I was only able to have a few bites though.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/13 6:33 am, edited 6/20/13 6:33 am - OH

It varies from surgeon to surgeon, so -- as the others have said -- whenever YOUR surgeons's plan allows it. I chose not to have any salad (well, not more than a bite of someone else's, anyway****il I was a year out.  Early on you need to focus on eating protein while your pouch space is so limited and the salad greens and veggies take up valuable space that can better be used for protein.

If what you ate had normal Caesar dressing on it, your body is probably rebelling at the amount of fat in the dressing.  Of course, it could be complaining about the chicken, too, since lots of people seem to have trouble with chicken (I never did).  If ot had croutons and you ate those, it could be complaining aout that (the croutons have a TON of fat in them). Or, it could be complaining about all of the above.  Caesar salads are a pretty bad choice in terms of calories and fat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sirenitycalling
on 6/20/13 6:34 am - OH

If you are cleared for salads and the like, What type of lettuce and veggies are you trying? Starting on solid veggies again, we had to eat iceberg lettuce and water dense veggies because nutrient rich veggies tend to be higher fiber and generally not tolerated until further out. One exception to avoid until later, celery. This fellow is high in fiber and water content. Also, try to avoid the cruciform veggies, like broccoli, gas distension is possible. Avoid seeds and skins my first was peeled seedless cucumbers with hummus or salsa. 'Chips' and dips or half-sour pickles seeded and skinned with meat and soft cheese. I am getting hungrier  thinking about it. Lol

RainbowRN
on 6/20/13 11:09 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

My surgeon okay'd it since week 6.  I usually get a salad with no lettuce.  I just get cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, beets, onions, cheese, cottage cheese and a couple croutons.  It's so good.  I do occasionally add a little chicken but my pouch doesn't always like chicken.  I put a little balsalmic vinegrette on it and its delicious. :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

daubbermom
on 6/20/13 12:24 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I am 17 weeks out and I can eat salad but my pouch does not like it."I think it doth protesteth much". but it stays down.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/22/13 11:53 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Caesar would be my last choice for a salad, personally. LOTS of fat in them. Typically it is romaine, parmesan, croutons, fat and in your case, chicken. I am assuming grilled.

And if you do not tolerate anchovies well, the dressing could really hit you hard.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics