Coffee...

Angela_Italiana
on 6/27/13 6:36 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
So I am not a coffee person at all, maybe one or two cups a year. I'm having one of those nights where I can not seem to fall asleep, so I know I'm going to be tired when the morning comes around. I have not had any sort of caffeine since my surgery (and many months prior to it), and am just curious if there are any potential Ill affects I might have if I have some tomorrow. Being that I don't even own a coffee maker it would probably just be a tall (that's the smallest I think) blonde roast from Starbucks with a splash of soy milk. Should that be ok?

Thanks!
poet_kelly
on 6/27/13 7:28 pm - OH

I think it would be OK.

Here are the downsides to caffeine.  If you have an ulcer, it can make it worse.  It won't cause an ulcer, though.  It can leach calcium out of our bones, but only a teeny bit -  someone, I think it was the Mayo Clinic, said that a tablespoon or two of milk would replace that lost calcium.  Now if you guzzle a few gallons of coffee, the affect on your calcium might matter.   but a cup or two?  And caffeine can cause anxiety and trouble sleeping, but again, a cup or two should not bother most people, as long as you don't have it in the evening.

A common myth is that it causes dehydration, but several studies have shown it doesn't, at least not in moderate amounts.  Again, if you guzzle  few gallons, that might be different.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 6/27/13 8:41 pm - Germantown, MD

I drink half-caf every day - - mainly because full caffeine does give me the jitters, and in high doses can send me in a panic attack (and god forbid I drink an espresso before running - I'll surely poo myself!). One thing I'd caution - - I don't believe Starbucks soy is sugar-free so just make sure it's you doing the pouring, not the barista. But it sounds like you're dipping your toes back in to coffee world very gently.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/13 9:27 pm - NY
I never used to drink much coffee before surgery. I just found that the first few cups afterwards made me feel slightly buzzed from the caffeine.
Calla Lily
on 6/27/13 10:16 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

The blonde roast at Starbucks is their most caffeinated so if you aren't used to coffee you might want to try a darker roast. Otherwise, the blonde roast has a great flavor. Normally I order a grande skinny latte with a shot of sugar free caramel... It's really yummy, and 12g of protein ....

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

smilesandcurves
on 6/28/13 12:39 am - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with

The coffee has protein in it? Is that with the cream in it or do you use soy or are you adding your own protein powder to it?

Dancing my way to better health,

Tara

Calla Lily
on 6/28/13 12:55 am
RNY on 01/23/12

The skinny latte is made with skim milk, so that is where the protein comes from. I wish black coffee had protein, that would be awesome! :D

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

AnnieD9999
on 6/28/13 1:44 am - Columbus, OH

I am a coffee person. A big one. I usually have a grande iced coffee every day. I ask for 2% milk and 3 sweet n lows, i think its like 35 calories or something? But ive been drinking coffee since a few weeks out from surgery and I haven't had a problem. Theres some on here that say they drink a few cups every morning. Dont think theres any harm in it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views