feeling very lucky

aliceindietland
on 6/30/13 12:06 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Since this is a support group, it makes sense that a lot of what is posted here are when people have problems and need... support.  Well that and the BIG victories that come later out.  So I think maybe it gives a little bit of a skewed reality sometimes.

Because right now I am almost three weeks out of surgery, and I am feeling REALLY lucky.  I did have a fair amount of pain in the beginning, as well as some GI issues, but all of that was totally gone in a week.  Since then, it's been smooth sailing. 

I haven't thrown up once, and aside from one early instance of pouch pain from drinking a protein shake too fast the first week, haven't had any issues like that.  I've tolerated completely fine everything I've eaten except for plain milk (lactose intolerance, not surprising!).  Staying away from high sugar and fat still obviously, so I don't know if I dump.

I know some people might consider this a downside, but I can eat about 1/2 cup of food at a time - this is okay with me though, because it makes me fall naturally into the 600-800 calorie range that my NUT gave me.  I even went to a restaurant and was totally fine with eating part of a cup of vegetable soup and some crackers.  Even though I have to think a lot about what I'm eating (whether it's a "soft" food, whether I'm getting enough protein), I feel like a normal person.

I've lost 13 pounds since surgery.  (This is after a 19-pound pre-op loss, so I'm not disheartened at all that the number isn't bigger.)

Anyway, I just thought I would share this especially for those who are pre-op.  Sometimes it can get really scary to just read about all the problems that people have.  I am feeling very good about my decision right now.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

LadyLilMax
on 6/30/13 12:13 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

I sure hope  you keep posting.  Not only do you have a lovely style of writing but you are positive and very caring!  Thanks for sharing and keep us in the know about how you are!  Love your posts!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

aliceindietland
on 6/30/13 12:16 am
RNY on 06/11/13

Aww, thank you!  I'm glad that I have this community for sharing.  I like blogging too, but I feel like no one reads it haha.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

gonna_wear_boots
on 6/30/13 12:40 am - QC

I am having the exact same experience as you.  I am three weeks post op as well.  My surgery went well, food passes fine and my only complaint is the weird burping that I get after I eat but I hear that will go away.  I was terrified before surgery due to some of the things I had heard and actually thought I was something was wrong because I wasn't experiencing all the bad side effects! Thanks for your post!

LadyLilMax
on 6/30/13 6:07 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Wow... GREAT blog.  You are now in my fav places and I for one will be reading you!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

jensieck76
on 6/30/13 12:41 am - TX
Yay! Someone who knows! I have been in the same boat. No dumping feeling great! And feeling so lucky to have this wonderful tool!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

Sarahakers11
on 6/30/13 1:51 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with
I am also just over 3 weeks out really closer to 4 now and had a very similar expierence. Feel very normal eat 1/4 cup more often the 1/2 but could probably eat more. 2 shakes a day. Doing well and have lost about 24 lbs since surgery

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics