Amount of food 5 months post op - Should it be ounces in weight or ounces in volume?

Lori Risner
on 8/21/13 6:09 am - OR
RNY on 03/12/13

Hi there!

Just a quick question...  My doctor says he wants me to eat 3 meals (2 oz of protein and 1 oz veggie at each meal) and two snacks per day.  Does anyone know if this should be volume or actual weight?  I have a food scale but I also have something that measures volume ounces.  I just have been feeling a little guilty lately...  My weight loss has been good but I am not paying attention to the amount of food I am eating, my protein intake, and I eat carbs with every meal and my doctor said to stay away from them.  I feel like I am slipping back in to my old habits and that SCARES the crud out of me! 

I appreciate the feedback!

Lori

Blessings on your day!

molly3613
on 8/21/13 6:22 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

My registered dietitian told me to weigh the food as it is much more accurate.  You can take a 1/2 cup measure and pack it solid with tuna or cottage cheese etc. or pack it lightly with the same foods and you are varying the amount you eat.  But 4 oz. is 4 oz.  It is more accurate to weigh on a scale.  The problem I have is that logging on my fitness pal most of the foods are already entered in cups or tsp. or tbs. and not broken down into ounces.  So.....I just measure it all on the scale but have to record it in volume.  It is different.  1/2 cup of strawberries is less than measuring 4 oz.  I guess they stack with space between the slices in the measuring cup and give you less fruit.  Oh well.....it is a small difference but since you asked.

Lori Risner
on 8/21/13 6:27 am - OR
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you so much for responding!  I will weigh everything.  Such a pain but necessary for me so I don't fall in to old habits.  I probably need to be documenting too.  You have done amazing with your weight loss!  Great job!

Blessings on your day!

bluesfan
on 8/21/13 7:21 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

Lori  I see you had your surgery in March.  This far out, are you still only eating only 2oz of protein at a meal?  How do you meet your requirement ?  If you are having trouble with carbs, get them out of the house if you can.  I would feel scared too if I was slipping back into old habits.  I have faith that you can turn this around, and get your feet back on stable ground.  I will say a prayer for you.  Good Luck !

Lori Risner
on 8/21/13 12:23 pm - OR
RNY on 03/12/13
Appreciate you praying for me!!! Great job on your loss!!!

Blessings on your day!

noftessa0401
on 8/21/13 9:03 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

I was told to measure my food by volume, not weight.

My stomach is not a scale, but it certainly holds only a certain amount of volume.  If you want to have accurate caloric information of what you eat, then a scale probably is more accurate.  But, in that case, I would measure by volume (so I know volume-wise how much to eat so as to not to over-stretch my pouch), and then measure that on the scale, so I would know what to calculate calorie-wise.  That is too much measuring for me, and the difference in the measurements calorie-wise are pretty negligible, so I just measure by volume. 

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

MissK123456789
on 8/21/13 10:57 am - PA

Hi Lori,

I was probably at 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of food at 5 months.  I think that the more nutrient dense foods fill you up faster.  Think protein, while veggies and fruits?  Not so much. 

The one thing I would say is that you should be documenting everything that goes in your mouth...not because you need to but because you need to be mindful of your eating.  It is worth the time.  I'm a year out and I document EVERYTHING...down to the last Werther's SF candy I eat.

Good luck!

Karen

BWB
on 8/21/13 11:08 am

At almost two years out I still go by volume.  I try to focus on proteins and still have a glass of milk with chocolate Unjury powder every other day for a snack just for good measure.  

Lori Risner
on 8/21/13 12:21 pm - OR
RNY on 03/12/13
Thank you everyone for your replies!!! Tomorrow is a new day. You all have motivated me to document my food and I am gonna try weighing in volume. Blessings!!!

Blessings on your day!

Most Active