1/2 grilled cheese sandwich, a handful of fries, and about 1/4 piece of really rich cake for...

Dee.spunk
on 8/30/13 11:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Sometimes I wish I could. I just want some crackers with cheese or spread, but I know why will happen if i do. So I avoid them. If I want a crunch I gotta eat brocolli or something. Not quite the same...

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 8/30/13 11:18 am - OH

I avoid them because if I start eating them, I can't stop.  I have eaten an entire box of Cheezits in two days.  That's why I don't buy them anymore.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/30/13 11:21 pm
I have severe RH. I can't east crackers, potato chips, bread or carbs like that. But I found chips that I can have - Terra veggie chips. Even the sweet potato chips are OK when I eat them with cheese. I buy them in Costco now - they have box of 24 x 1 oz bags... Not only it is already portioned perfectly for me.. But also I can eat little every few days and the rest does not get stale. I like the multi - veggies colored chips. Great for crunch once in a while..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

65rosesmom
on 8/30/13 11:11 am

UGH.   Glad the protein shake helped.   I went out to dinner with my family tonight.   I had a turkey burger with guacamole, no bread, and a few of the kids fries.   Then we took the kids, after a long walk, for fro yo, and I had the smallest amount of their NSA yogurt (6gm sugar in 3oz - I definitely had less than 3oz), but within a few minutes my heart started racing.   Not a full out dump and no RH tonight, but ugh -- every once in awhile you get a reminder of why you don't eat like that anymore.  Sounds like you are still getting reminders after all these years.  NOT fun.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Jacob H.
on 8/30/13 12:06 pm - CA

Sounds sinful, use Gouda cheese, but no cake for me, I prefer peach cobbler

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 1:05 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Kelly,

im hesitant to ask for fear of being lambasted, "look up hypoglycemia in the search box in upper right corner, fool". But, since you've brought up that you personally are experiencing it,...can you describe the experience? I think I've had something beyond "dumping", would like it if you'd share your symptoms that lead you to the conclusion you are experiencing hypoglycemia. Thanks.

poet_kelly
on 8/30/13 1:08 pm - OH

Well, the symptoms I experience are lightheadedness, shakiness, weakness and feeling like I need to eat RIGHT NOW.  But I came to the conclusion the symptoms are caused by hypoglycemia after testing my blood sugar repeatedly during those episodes and finding it ranging from 37 to 70 or so.  The symptoms go away if I eat something with some carbs and some protein.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 1:19 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Thanks for the reply. Last night I ate coleslaw  with Marie's brand of coleslaw dressing, high in sugar, immediate reaction. I assumed I was dumping and that's where I get confused. The difference, IF there is one, between "dumping" and hypoglycemia. I find, when I unfortunately make the bad decision to "go there",... My immediate reaction is I HAVE TO GO BED, WHEREUPON I FALL IMMEDIATELY TO SLEEP.

so, my question to you is,..do you believe there's a difference between symptoms of dumping as compared to hypoglycemia?

poet_kelly
on 8/30/13 1:24 pm - OH

Yeah.  Dumping usually happens very soon after eating something, whereas reactive hypoglycemia, which is what I have, happens a couple hours later.  Dumping causes a rapid heartbeat and sweating, and often causes stomach pain, nausea, and/or vomiting or diarrhea, though not always.  Eating something makes RH better, whereas I don't think it would help dumping and in fact, the few times I have dumped, I had no desire to eat and I think I would have thrown up immediately if I'd tried.  And I don't think blood sugar drops really low with dumping, which of course it does with RH, although I never checked  my glucose when I dumped.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 1:53 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Thanks Kelly, makes perfect sense to me now. You are such a wealth of information, I value your presence and willingness to address our questions. Ty again.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views