Gastritis After RNY

Ambria
on 8/30/13 2:57 am, edited 8/30/13 2:58 am

Anyone have the problem of acute gastritis after they have had RNY?  I had to go to the ER last Monday with mid abdominal pains and the doc said he ruled out everything else by CT scan and blood work that it was gastritis.  I have an appointment on Tuesday with a GI doc, but the er doc told me he probably would do an endoscopic --- that is not going to work.  As far as I know it only looks at the pouch and can look into the small intestines but not the excluded stomach.

I am a little over 3 years out, had gained about 50 lbs back due to a lot of stress with my mother in the hospital for  2 months and the she died so I'm elected to take care of her estate - selling etc.  So I'm under a lot of stress since January. 

Oh and since Saturday, I have lost 8.9 lbs plus what I was losing before...being sick  devil..........but hey, I'll take it....

Day_dream_believer
on 8/30/13 3:04 am

Yes.  I have had 5 episodes since April that last up to 6 hours.  It is the worst pain I have ever experienced and usually end up crying on the bathroom floor.  The have done ct scan, diagnostic laparoscopy, x-rays, blood work and an upper endoscopy.  None of them have showed anything that would cause this kind of pain.  I have an MRI scheduled in a few weeks, but I don't expect it to show anything.  At this point I am about ready to give up and learn to live with it.  

I hope you have better luck.

Ambria
on 8/30/13 3:17 am

I here you about living with pain.  I have had back injuries since 1991 and you would not notice that I am in constant pain with it - because I just learned over all these years to keep going and not let it get me down.  But now the new pain.  Hopefully the GI can figure it out and give me the right medication.  Good luck with your MRI...I hope it shows something.

poet_kelly
on 8/30/13 3:04 am - OH

You are right, an endoscopy can't look into the remnant stomach.  But why do you think they will need to see inside the old stomach?  Gastritis often goes away even without treatment and they don't always do an endoscopy when they suspect gastritis.  I was diagnosed with it a couple years post op and they just gave me meds for nausea and it went away.

Anyway, when you see the GI doc, he'll let you know what they need to do.  But chances are it won't be necessary to look into the old stomach.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ambria
on 8/30/13 3:14 am

This isn't like it goes away and then comes back.  It is a constant pain.  Yes, they gave me meds for ISB, dicyclomine, and nausea and vomiting and Protonix, but the pain is still there, just not as bad.  Plus I'm really watching what I am eating.

I did find out that ER docs don't know much about RNY people.  It's funny to sit and educate them on it.  The nurse was even worse and after explaining to her, she still didn't get that I didn't use my stomach....lol

Thanks for your input, Kelly

Member Services
on 8/30/13 3:35 am - Irvine, CA

We are sorry to hear you are going through all this.  Here are some links to other posts where the members are discussing the same issue.  We hope they help.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4416452/Gastritis/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4167436/Gastritis-or-ho w-to-convince-yourself-that-you-are-dying/

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/30/13 5:22 am

I had hernias.. yes a few times.. and flipped intestines. At no given time that show on any CT-scans, x-rays, egd, etc. Only surgery would fix that.  At the same time - My pain was not constant - it would come and go.. and in many situations - it would go away if I follow strickt clear liquid diet for a few days. 

The surgery fixed the blockage - but at the same time I eliminated gluten from my diet, eliminated diet soda or artificial sweeteners and right now I am also trying to eat FODMAP free diet (like for people who have IBS-C) - google that. 

Since I changed my diet - I can say that I do get almost 90% pain free, with very little bloating and gas.  And that is such a new thing for me. 

The FODMAP diet eliminated foods that may get undigested and cause gas and pain in sensitive people.   the list is long, and at times it is challenging, but living semi normal life - with no belly pains and swelling is so worth it.  BTW: if I eat some food that I am not suppose to - the gas and pain may last 2-3 days after... depends how long the food takes to clear my system.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ambria
on 8/30/13 7:46 am

Thanks! I'll have to look up the FODMAP diet. I know that the CT may not show the hernias and have read up on that also.  After the GI doc, I'm taking all the films to my RNY doc.

mussit64
on 8/30/13 8:23 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

I'm only 4 months out and I going through that right now... They have me on Carafate and the same one you mentioned.  It's helping but the pain is not gone yet... I have had the pain going on 4 weeks now, constantly.  With this medicine it is coming and going... When it hits I take Carafate.  Hoping this goes away soon, it has slowed down my weight loss because I can't eat .... 

Ambria
on 8/30/13 10:36 pm

mussit64, I hope you feel better soon.  I am drinking broths to get something in me and it has stopped my drastic weight gain.  I also am experiencing side effects of the Bentyl meds and will probably have to stop them....  Lightheaded, dizziness, so at least I only have a few days before the GI doc appointment.  So feel better soon....kiss

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 181 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?