stretching your pouch

poet_kelly
on 9/5/13 9:28 am - OH

People often post asking how easy it is to stretch your pouch or how you know if you've stretched it.  I was just thinking about this issue today and thought I'd post about it.

First, your pouch is supposed to stretch some.  You'd starve to death if you could never eat more than you can in the first couple of weeks post op.  Your pouch is made from your stomach, and your stomach is made of muscle.  Muscle is kinda stretchy.  You can think of it as being like elastic.  Now, your pouch is made from the upper part of the stomach, which is the least stretchy part, but it's still a little stretchy.

Think about a pair of shorts with an elastic waist.  You can stretch them a little but they go back to their normal shape.  That's what happens to your pouch when you eat.

But if pull and pull and pull on that elastic, eventually you will stretch it out of shape.  It's just not real easy to do that.  That's what would happen to your pouch if you overeat by a good amount on a regular basis.  Eventually you'd stretch it out like the elastic on those shorts.  But it doesn't happen the first time you eat a bite too much.  It's not that easy to do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 9:36 am, edited 9/5/13 9:38 am

I notice you claim to know alot about medical issues ect regarding WLS. However what if you give the wrong information to someone and they take your advise and seriously harm themselves, could you live with it knowing that someone was harmed due to information you gave. Just saying you have to be really careful what you advise people. even though you say you are not an expert some around here think you are . Your disclaimer doesnt mean anything on a forum.

poet_kelly
on 9/5/13 9:43 am - OH

I don't often give advice on this forum.  I provide information.  For instance, if someone asks when they should start taking their vitamins, I tell them when the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we should start taking them.  I often provide the link to the ASMBS nutritional guidelines so they can read them for themselves.  People can then decide for themselves if they want to follow the advice of the ASMBS.  If someone is harmed by following the ASMBS nutritional guidelines, I guess they'd need to take that up with the ASMBS.

What exactly do you want me to be careful about?  I think I am pretty careful, providing the source of most of the information I provide.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 10:06 am

Some people could turn around and say that you said to do this, if they do it and it doesnt turn out the best for them and they get hurt, Im afraid they could sue you. I am not trying to be rude or anything in that matter, I am just leary on a forum what people can do. I find you give good advise but I wouldnt want you to get in trouble for something when you were just being kind. No insults were intended to you by myself. 

poet_kelly
on 9/5/13 10:08 am - OH

First, I imagine it would be hard to sue someone when you only know their user name on a forum.  But beyond that, what would they sue me for?  Telling them what vitamins the ASMBS recommends they take?  Wouldn't they be better off suing the ASMBS if in fact taking those vitamins recommended by the ASMBS harmed them in some way?

And hey, aren't you worried that by giving out legal advice here, you might be sued?

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 10:13 am, edited 9/5/13 10:15 am

I was being incredibly nice to you ... you give more advise than just vitamins... I never claimed to be a lawyer nor do I play one on tv.  Its too bad that you cant take a little critism and advise. Im done ... go ahead and be immature about this. Oh go ahead and pick me a part Im blocking you.. You make me sick. 

AnnieD9999
on 9/5/13 10:31 am - Columbus, OH

Girl, you were looking for a fight when you posted that first ridiculous comment. She has never claimed to be a Dr, and constantly tells people to refer to their Dr even after giving advice. Anyone who takes everything on these forums THAT SERIOUSLY, is an idiot. No matter what it is always recommended to speak to your Dr, this place is just for opinions.

RainbowRN
on 9/5/13 10:33 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13
On September 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Pacific Time, Garnier wrote:

I was being incredibly nice to you ... you give more advise than just vitamins... I never claimed to be a lawyer nor do I play one on tv.  Its too bad that you cant take a little critism and advise. Im done ... go ahead and be immature about this. Oh go ahead and pick me a part Im blocking you.. You make me sick. 

I think this was a little bit inappropriate. Kelly is only trying to help.  She tells members all the time where her info comes from and I have always been able to find all the statistics and journal articles that she is referring to.  I see what you are saying but you really need a new approach. The "You make me sick" line is completely inappropriate. 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

AnnieD9999
on 9/5/13 10:36 am - Columbus, OH

Amen. Talk about Unnecessary Drama.

poet_kelly
on 9/5/13 10:54 am - OH

Well, I didn't think you were being very nice.  I know you never claimed to be a lawyer, and I never claimed to be a doctor, but you were advising me that I could get sued anyway... which sounds a lot like legal advice to me.

Sorry you got sick.  Hope you feel better soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics