Another excess skin question.

Jules0225
on 9/16/13 7:11 am, edited 9/16/13 7:33 am

Anyone ever have excess skin on their calves? I noticed a lot of people that carry their weight in their belly and have normal sized legs or at least calves. I kind of carried my weight everywhere. This is such a struggle for me. I'm the happiest and healthiest I've ever been yet I'm struggling still with body image although it's a different type of struggle now. I'm going to try to explain this to the best of my ability. Before it was more about the way people perceived me. I was embarrassed to be seen in public and felt like people were constantly laughing at me and judging me. Now it's different. I'm in a 16/18 pants and a L/XL top. In most clothing I'm confident and basically everything I wasn't before but under these clothes and even in certain types of clothes (like dresses) I am just having a really hard time. I feel like the excess skin on my belly/thighs makes me look bigger than I am and my calves have gotten noticeably smaller but they look really bad. My ankles look puffy but I know it's not from swelling. When I lay back on my bed or couch and lift my leg up then bend it 90 degrees at my knee the skin on my calves hangs down and some of it looks deflated and wrinkled like my thighs/belly. It's hard to describe but it's like I can see the shape of my muscle/calf then there's just this blob of yucky hanging flab. My thighs do the same thing. Is it possible to have excess skin like this on my calves? Will a lower body lift do anything to fix it or am I just stuck with it?

I took some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Sorry in advance lol.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

selhard
on 9/16/13 7:42 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I have excess calf skin, too.  One of the veterans on this forum, Larry, warned us the best.  He said something like, "if you think you're gonna look better under your clothes, forget it."  I have chosen no plastic surgery and to "forget it" forever.  Please do post your research if you do check in to calf skin removal, however.  Just in case I change my mind :)

Jules0225
on 9/16/13 7:46 am

Thanks and I will. Is it weird that it's comforting to know I'm not the only one? I hope that doesn't offend you, it's not meant to. I see all these before and after pictures, not just on here but elsewhere online and even on these weight loss shows on TV and the first thing I always look at are legs and I have never, ever seen an after picture of a woman in a dress with droopy, flabby calves like mine. I've also never heard anyone mention it. I've seen tons of posts on thighs but no one ever mentions their calves. 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/16/13 8:56 am - OH

Yes, I have some loose skin on my upper calves as well, but after losing almost 200 pounds, it didn't surprise me.

You are stuck with it (although a small amount of it may tighten up a bit).  I suppose that there might be a plastic surgeon somewhere that would be willing to create an incision behind both of your knees and pull the skin together (but I would think the scars would look FAR worse than the extra skin).  A lower body lift definitely will not help. It won't even do anything about any significant amount of excess skin on the inside of your legs other than at the very top of your thighs.  A lower body lift only addresses the lower portion of your torso and can help some with excess skin at the top of your thighs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 9/16/13 9:56 am
RNY on 05/13/13

That is the one area I do not have loose skin--I even have loose SCALP skin, for crying out loud, so no help, but I will tell you that some of the PS folks I have talked to have said if they had it to do over, they would not have done their thighs due to issues, so you want to really do your research and find a surgeon that specializes in WLS patients. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Katie K.
on 9/16/13 7:18 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I'm worried about my legs, too. Mine look pretty good when I lift them up, but everything slides back down when I stand.

How much have you lost? I'm on my phone so I can't see any signatures. I started at 284 and carry it everywhere, as well.

karenp8
on 9/16/13 8:47 pm - Brighton, IL

I sag and have wrinkly sKin there too so you are not alone! No money for surgery so guess I will just get used to it.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics