What to bring to the hospital

NadiaM
on 9/27/13 8:30 am
I can't believe I am just a few days away... October 1st is when I'll hopefully be joining the losers bench!

I will be in the hospital for 48hrs and on the confirmation email I got it said to bring anything I would need in 48hrs (duh!)

Just wondering from your experiences if there's anything you wish you would have brought or something that is important that I shouldn't forget?

Scoot over... Here I come!
Mo Diggity
on 9/27/13 9:12 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Congrats !!  I brought a whole bag of stuff (changes of clothes etc)... I didn't use any of it lol. The only things I used was my laptop, cell phone, face cream & chapstick. Oh and your chargers !! 

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

omiomezzo
on 9/27/13 9:15 am, edited 9/27/13 9:20 am
RNY on 09/19/13

Congrats on coming over to the losers bench.  I am 1 week post op, and honestly, I packed basics such as toiletries, extra clothing and my electronics (iphone and ipad) and didn't touch half of it.  The toiletries were supplied by the hospital, I was in a gown until the 2nd day.  Once the catheter was removed, I was allowed to put on my own clothing.  

The only things I would say would have been a must for me were my phone, chapstick and a long sweater or bathrobe used while walking post op.  I am always cold now, so having a sweater is essential, also when you are walking in a gown that  is open in the back, it is nice to have something to cover your bum.   Everything else could have stayed home.

Good luck on Tuesday!!!

367 (HW)       357 (SW)          180 (GW)

TurnThePage
on 9/27/13 9:34 am

Phone and charger, chapstick, hair brush, tooth brush and toothpaste, maybe some lotion or cream, something to read for the 2 hours you are not sleeping/walking/watching tv. That was all I used. My  robe was not usablel as I was hooked to IV, so better off to get the nurse to tie your gown tight in the back or put a 2nd gown over your backside. Don't need slippers as they give you socks with safety treads. 

-Babydoll-
on 9/27/13 9:56 am - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
The hospital supplied all the basics like toothpaste toothbrush soap etc. I wore the gown till it was time to go home (that's when the iv was taken out). The only thing I wish i would have brought was my own pillow, to hold against my belly on the car ride home. Good luck and congrats. I hope you have an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!!

JustCK
on 9/27/13 10:49 am

My surgery is October 1st too! Best of luck to you!!!

NadiaM
on 9/27/13 11:10 am
Thanks doll!! You too let us know how it went
Bibo
on 9/27/13 1:40 pm
Earplugs and a eye mask. Its loud and not very dark!

proudmami135
on 9/27/13 3:31 pm - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

I took way more than I needed. I was only in the hospital a little over a day. (Was there at 630am on Monday for surgery and came home around 2pm the next day). 

All I used was my chapstick, cell phone (somewhat.. I mostly couldn't work it under the pain medication, lol), my own pillow, and of course my clothes to come home in. I was so out of it that first night on the morphine, I didn't use my toothbrush or anything. I had taken magazines to read and was going to have my husband bring my laptop the 2nd day. But since I came home, I didn't have him bring it. I was too in/out of sleep to read (or work that cell phone!). Having my own pillow though definitely helped me be more comfortable and the chapstick helped my lips some. OH -- and I had a small blanket that I took too since everyone has mentioned being really cold after surgery. I was actually hot though! 

jamienichols22
on 9/27/13 4:32 pm - MI

This is what OH admin sent me:

Weight Loss Surgery Hospital Stay:  What To Pack

One of the most common questions pre-op weight loss surgery patients ask OH post-ops is:  “What should I pack for my hospital stay?”  Here is a list of some of the most recommended suggestions:

Loose fitting clothes for the ride home (You may be a little swollen!)

A pillow (To put over your stomach so that you can put your seat belt on after surgery, to place over your stomach when you need to cough)

ChapStick

Front zip sports bra

A list of your medicines

Open back Slippers (non-slip)

iPod with headphones (or something to listen to during your recovery)

A loose house robe to go around your hospital gown

A good book

Lotion

Water bottle for the ride home

Personal toiletries-toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hairbrush, make-up and deodorant

Earplugs (In case your roomie snores!)

Insurance card

Biotene mouth spray (For dry mouth)

Cell phone and charger

Gas-X

Baby wipes

Hair band

A camera to take before pictures

Extra underwear

CPAP machine if you use one

Reading glasses or prescription glasses

Favorite photos that will comfort you

Laptop or E-reader device

Of all the items in the list above, ChapStick is a must according to many WLS post-ops.   You should leave your jewelery and other expensive items at home.  Bringing a Laptop, iPod, and other electronics is usually not encouraged and many post-ops have commented that they were too sleepy and too busy walking to want to read, check email, and do other activities that don’t involve personal care

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics