Post-op liquid diet ideas

NadiaM
on 10/6/13 3:12 am
Hey guys! Just had surgery on October 1st and was looking for some "meal" ideas on the liquid diet.

My doctors recommends 1/2 cup of cream of wheat for breakfast, 1/2 cup of vege cream soup mixed with unflavored protein powder for lunch and supper and as snacks either yogurt or puréed fruit with protein powder.

I have to say that I'm already getting a little sick of the same tastes and was looking for some meal ideas.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Quinnherd
on 10/6/13 3:31 am - MA
RNY on 09/30/13

Hi Nadia, I had surgery one day before you, so I know of what you speak...lol. The only thing different than what you listed that I'm eating is ricotta  cheese. Just a bit of salt and pepper to "jazz it up" a little. I've also been doing the sugar free jello as it counts toward my fluids and sometimes I just can't take another sip of something. 

How are you feeling?

bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 3:35 am

we had surgery on the same day! I think my stomach may have been a bit more swollen than normal. I stayed in the hospital an extra day because 2 days out of surgery I only drank 15 oz of water all day because thats all that fit. Today I am able to do better but still not a half cup of anything. its crazy to see how different people take to the surgery :) Good luck ladies!

NadiaM
on 10/6/13 3:35 am
Hey!!!
Glad to hear you know exactly how I feel. Besides food, how are you doing?

I'm doing quite well... Not really much pain anymore, just a little discomfort from time to time.

I'm a little concerned though because I seem to be ok to get in all of my 1/2 cup for "food" especially when it's more liquid like the soup.

As for getting water in, I'm getting in about 1 liter a day.

Let me know how you're doing!
bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 3:42 am

like I said, I think I had more swelling because I have never been able to do that much. I was told to start with 2oz though. I can do 2 oz maybe 3 times a day now but 1/2 cup would be really tough. I even called the doctor and asked if I was doing it wrong because I couldnt eat that much lol. she said no. everyone is different. My best friend is 3 years out of surgery and she said she was just like me out of surgery but one of her co-workers never had a problem eating right away. I was concerned when I had to stay in the hospital an extra day but the nurses told me its normal for everyone to feel different. my doctor said I should be able to eat 2 oz 5 times a day by  wednesday or thursday of this week. we will see how it goes. I can add you as a friend and we can keep in touch!

Quinnherd
on 10/6/13 3:44 am - MA
RNY on 09/30/13

Most days I've been getting all my liquids in (in one form or another), but not all the protein. I'm having a hard time finding a protein shake I can tolerate, so for now I'm just using the carnation instant breakfast no sugar added.  I'm feeling pretty good, but I don't have a great deal of energy yet.  Maybe when I get something more substantial to eat next week when I get to puréed foods the energy will return. Glad I took a few weeks off from work :)

kathie

bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 3:55 am

I have also had a tough time with protein shakes. I feel sick afterward. I bought one from costco and its doing alright for me. I HATE protein shakes though.

bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 3:32 am

1/2 a cup!? that shocks me lol. I had my surgery the day before you and I am lucky to keep down 1.5 oz at a time lol. I like tomato soup. I also bought yogurt smoothies so I could get different flavors of yogurt without the chunks of fruit since its blended together. I have done well with both of those. my dietitian told me I can add any flavor extract to food that I wanted because there is nothing in them nutritionally. You could add some flavor to your cream of wheat. pudding is also approved at this stage and there are many flavors. hope that helps. :)

NadiaM
on 10/6/13 3:45 am
Really? I'm so scared cause when I'm having liquids, I can have my half cup easily. I take my time but it doesn't hurt or I don't feel overly full. Ughhh I really hope my doc didn't make my pouch too big!!!
bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 3:48 am

I doubt your pouch is too big :) everyone reacts different to the surgery. for the first week I would wake up feeling full but, again, I think my stomach was a lot more swollen than most people. call your doctor if you are concerned :)

Most Active
Recent Topics