Excess Skin??

binker88
on 10/5/13 12:03 pm

Hey Everyone.  I have a vain question to ask.  I've been noticing that a lot of folks after WLS have excess skin--I understand how/why it happens.  But have any of you found out good ways to combat this? I know going to the gym is a good way to help, but is there a way to not have too much noticeable excess skin?? Or am I going to need plastic surgery to fix it? Sorry for the vain question but I'm really worried about that happening. Thanks. 

Needanewbeginning
on 10/5/13 12:14 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I know I will need plastics, no way around the excess skin that is left behind. For people like you and I that start this journey over 300lbs, it's pretty unrealistic to think we won't have lots of excess no matter how much we exercise, skin doesn't shrink unfortunately. I can already see my batwings and legs and stomach and it's not pretty but I am thrilled with my loss so far. It's all part of it angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

PetHairMagnet
on 10/5/13 2:25 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, Needanewbeginning wrote:

I know I will need plastics, no way around the excess skin that is left behind. For people like you and I that start this journey over 300lbs, it's pretty unrealistic to think we won't have lots of excess no matter how much we exercise, skin doesn't shrink unfortunately. I can already see my batwings and legs and stomach and it's not pretty but I am thrilled with my loss so far. It's all part of it angry

Exactly this, for me!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mo Diggity
on 10/5/13 12:20 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Basically you can't "un-grow" skin. More skin grew to cover areas of fat we added to our bodies, hence the stretchmarks. What I've heard that exercise CAN do (since it can't tighten the actual skin), is it tightens the muscle underneath the skin which can help it's appearance ;)

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Ladytazz
on 10/5/13 1:47 pm

Some very lucky people seem to do better then others.  Age and genetics seem to be the biggest factor but sadly, there is no magic potion or exercise that will make the excess skin bounce back.  Sometimes insurance will pay to have it removed if there is a health problem due to it, such as rashes or back pain, much like insurance will pay for a breast reduction if it causes health issues.  Also, some people who had their surgery done open find themselves with a hernia and many times a tummy tuck can be worked in at the same time as a repair reducing the cost.

If you do develop issues be sure to document them with doctor visits and pictures of rashes, etc.  That may help with the insurance process.  My insurance paid for a panniculectomy (removal of the lower stomach excess skin, also called an apron).

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ShadowHR
on 10/5/13 10:51 pm - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

As long as I don't have related health problems I have no intention of plastic surgery.  The only person who sees me naked is the hubby and he's ok with it.  The bat wings and saggy thighs are not too pretty, but I earned this!  

I think each person needs to chose for themselves what they need, can afford and/or live with.  If I could afford surgery I would do a breast lift enlightened

Surgery Weight 245

jamienichols22
on 10/6/13 7:39 am - MI

If you have documentation with your pcp that has been going on awhile like back pain then your insurance may cover a breast lift :) I know that with my medicare they will but they will only pay for a panni in the tummy area

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Candy V.
on 10/5/13 11:44 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I had a TT done with insurance coverage 3 weeks ago.  I am waiting on more till I see how my body settles into my new weight.  I had a hysterectomy and SI joint pins in the last 4 months, so not exercising except walking.  I need to have thighs, back and breast implants still.  I have not been exercising, so when I can get back to that it may be enough for my arms as they are not bad.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

jamienichols22
on 10/6/13 7:40 am - MI

Candy you look amazing!! 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Candy V.
on 10/6/13 8:54 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views