Interesting LA Times Artilce Re: Surgeon Skill And Success

jenorama
on 10/11/13 11:58 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I ran across an interesting article just now on LA Times about how skill really matters in weight loss surgery success.  I'm sure that's not really a surprise to any of us, but the article does illustrate how it's basically practice makes perfect.  If you're considering the surgery, I think it would be a fair question to ask the surgeon how many procedures he or she has done.  

At my last pre-surgery consult, I asked my surgeon if he used the Da Vinci robot and he said that the robot only slows him down.  I thought at the time that he sounded pretty ****y, but I've been doing really well since Monday, so I guess it was well-earned!

Jen

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-weight-loss-bariatric-surgery-20131011,0,2063803.story

Laura in Texas
on 10/11/13 10:46 pm

I agree that surgeon skill is most important for any surgery. We need the best surgeon we can get. It drives me crazy when people here pick someone just because they are nice. Who cares. He can be the biggest a-hole in the world, but if the results are the best, I can deal with that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Don 1962
on 10/12/13 12:19 am

Your surgeon could be the very best in all of medicine but if you don't do what you are supposed to do afterwards then you've pissed away his/her time and your/insurance company/tax payer's money.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 193 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 325 views