Cheese!!!

NadiaM
on 10/19/13 7:51 am
So I love cheese and see a lot of people saying they it either on top of foods or as a meal itself. My concern is that cheese is very high in fat and I'm not sure to how much I should limit myself.

Also, for those of you who eat a lot of cheese, what kind do you eat and how much?

I went to the store earlier and found Allegro cheese which has 60 cals, 1g fat and 11g protein for 30g. I know this is pretty good, but most cheeses I see are minimum 6-10g of fat.
noway2
on 10/19/13 7:58 am
RNY on 09/26/13

I mostly eat cheese as an accent, on beans, eggs, spaghetti sauce, etc but I sometimes eat it as a snack.  When I eat it as a snack, I eat about 1/2 to 1oz.   My post surgery diet is pretty well low carb and low calorie and from years of experience with LC, I don't worry a whole lot about the fat content. 

NadiaM
on 10/19/13 8:17 am
Great! Thanks - I guess I'm just nervous to eat too many carbs/fat and ruin my honeymoon period of malabsorption!
poet_kelly
on 10/19/13 8:15 am - OH

You can get low fat cheese.  But we actually need some fats in our diet.  I eat lots of different kinds of cheese - cheddar, swiss, mozzerella, etc.  Sometimes I get low fat, sometimes not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NadiaM
on 10/19/13 8:16 am
Thanks Kelly! On average, how many grams of fat do you consume daily?
poet_kelly
on 10/19/13 10:41 am - OH

I have no idea.  I don't count fat grams.  All I can say is, some days very little, some days a good bit.  Most of the fat I consume comes from things like olive oil, nuts, occasionally full fat cheese, and whole raw milk and Greek yogurt made from whole raw milk.

I don't believe that eating fat, at least some fat, makes us fat.  Consider the fact that, back before all these fat free products were available, people weighed less on average than they do today, even though they ate more fat.  Consider the fact that people that live on small dairy farms, like the farm where I buy my raw milk, tend to drink a lot of whole milk and aren't fat.  They are pretty physically active, though.  Farming is good exercise!  But just eating some fat won't make you fat.

Eating more calories than you burn will make you fat.  It's not quite that simple, I don't think all calories are created equal.  But still, to gain weight, you have to eat more than you burn.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 10/19/13 9:20 am

There aren't many cheeses I don't like. I eat the full fat version mostly but do buy the Laughing Cow Lite. We have to have some fat in our diet. I'm constantly fighting dry skin if I ate fat free I'd look like an alligator. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

kinny09
on 10/19/13 9:42 am, edited 10/19/13 9:43 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I eat low fat or fat free cheese at this point. Low fat goat cheese only 2 oz. and I put that in a 1-egg omelet. I follow the serving guidelines and do not exceed. For example I eat fat free ricotta cheese 1/4 cup as part of a meal, I use it as a side. I will do 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese over some beans or chili I've made. And just about everyday I have a low fat string cheese as a snack at some point. So I would aim for low/no fat cheese until in maintenance (this is my guideline though, consult with your team if you're unsure) and make sure you are measuring.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

bosslady1
on 10/19/13 9:58 am - SC

Before surgery I loved cheese I would eat cheese all day long. Now cheese taste like sour milk it is so nasty. I can't stand to see or smell it. I can't believe that I don't like cheese anymore. It was my comfort food. Sometimes I would eat  24 slices of cheese in a sitting but not anymore.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/19/13 11:05 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I eat full fat cheese.  I also don't count fat grams.  My meals are protein forward and low carb.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Most Active
Recent Topics