not trying to start a fight but here are some good articles about dumping syndrome

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 7:59 am

I have been told a couple times on this forum that my doctor is wrong when he says I have dumping syndrome because it can only be caused by high sugar foods and I dont eat high sugar foods. I have done research with MayoClinic and Rochester University Medical Center and they both agree with what my doctor told me. My doctor told me that dumping syndrome is when undigested food "dumps" into the intestine because there is no sphincter holding it into your stomach anymore. it has many symptoms (listed in the links below). there is no way to full stop it and doctors have yet to determine why it happens to some and not others. My doctor recommended thickening my protein shake (that was one of the things I was having trouble with) because if a food is thicker it is less likely to dump out of the stomach into the intestine. I am not posting this to start a fight but I must say that as a newbie I read this forum and thought nothing was wrong because I was not eating a bunch of sugar so I couldnt have dumping syndrome. I am glad I did my own research and talked to my doctor and I dont want to see others to the same and ignore their symptoms. again, I am not trying to start a fight, point fingers, or say someone is wrong but I also dont want to see someone ignore their symptoms like I did for the first 2 weeks.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?Cont entTypeID=134&ContentID=107

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715/DS ECTION=causes

Melanie C.
on 10/18/13 8:58 am

I think it is always good to do your own research. I know when I have questions I research things and I also ask questions here. I think the person we should be able to trust is our doctors, they are the ones getting paid but, when I went to see the nutritionist she said that a lot of the doctors ask her questions, because they really dont know how it works, just how to do the surgery. Strange I know, but i believe it.

cajungirl
on 10/18/13 9:11 am, edited 10/18/13 4:19 pm
I read both articles and not sure where you get it can happen with anything. I'm not trying to argue either but what both articles state is carbohydrates and sugar. Carbs turn to sugar especially simple carbs. I'm not a dumper per say, it's happened only a handful of times in 8 1/2 years but I wouldn't wi**** on my enemy. I

What are you making your shakes with? Any chance you are also using milk which it states some do need to avoid dairy.

Edit to add: I read your responses with Kelly in the other post. Sweetie the cream of wheat with milk has sugar/carbs, Apple sauce has natural sugar, most protein shakes have some sugar and depending on what one you are drinking it may just be too much for your system.

It appears you are super sensitive to these things. Are you allowed meat or eggs yet? If so you may see if that helps you not to feel that way. Again, I'm truly sorry you are dealing with this, it may take some playing around with your food choices.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 9:28 am
Both articles say it CAN be caused by sugar and carbs but you can technically dump anything. Sugar and carbs are most common but not the only thing that can do it. I dump anything that is too thin. I can't keep my protein shake from dumping unless I make it with milk and peanut butter so it's thicker.

cajungirl
on 10/18/13 10:08 am

Again sorry it is happening to you. I'm not arguing with you, we will agree to disagree. 

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 12:33 pm
I can't have meat and eggs yet unless I puree them. I tried eggs but that was very painful. I do have issues with sugar also but with other things as well. I said before my Dr classified me as ultra sensitive. The only way I don't dump my protein shake is to thicken it with peanut butter and milk instead of water and powder only. I do fine with just plain milk too. It'**** and miss for me. I do know personally the thicker something is the easier it is on my system. That's just me though.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 9:41 am, edited 10/18/13 9:41 am - OH

I'm glad you're doing some research.

It's my understanding that dumping syndrome occurs when sugars or simple carbs "dump" into the intestine too quickly, not just any food.  So thickening something with sugar in it would help.  Like, you'd be more likely to dump on a milk shake than on a cookie, because the milk shake would leave your pouch faster than the cookie.  I really don't think you'd dump on water, though, even though it would leave the pouch faster than the milk shake.

ETA: I'm not trying to fight about it, either.  Just sharing what I know/think/understand.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 10/18/13 10:09 am

I agree

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 10:09 am
I understand kelly. I don't think I dump water either. I just know where my problems are. Everyone is different so it's good to know that there is no rule that applies 100% to everyone. Rules like what makes people dump are different depending on the person. What effects me won't effect others

bsouder2210
on 10/18/13 10:17 am
I guess what I am saying is I don't think it's fair for people to say you can only have dumping from high sugar foods because I am proof that's not the case. I just get tired of being told I am wrong because whatever I am eating is not sugary enough to cause dumping.

Most Active
Recent Topics