sugar/coffee question

Ms_Silly
on 10/19/13 2:47 am
Hey there. I've posted something similar a while back but am back to asking questions since I'm doing something different. I use to love my iced coffees before surgery. Now that I'm 9 weeks out I've been wanting to have it 1-2 times a week. I used to have one almost every day, fyi. I also use to get them from like a shop, now I buy the packs from the grocery store. My favorite is the Starbucks packs. One pack makes 16oz, so I split a pack up and only use half the powder, making only 8 ounces at a time. I prefer to add a little French vanilla flavor so I bought some fat free fv creamer. Half the pack of the coffee has 11g of sugar. 1tbsp of creamer is 5g of sugar. I usually use about 1 tbsp plus a tad more of the creamer.so what I'm trying to get to is the fact that the iced coffee is getting close to our around about 18/19g of sugar. It doesn't bother my pouch at all. But keep in mind it takes me about an hour to drink the whole thing I sip it so slow. Any other coffee/iced coffee drinkers out there with advice? Am I over-doing it? Is this amount of sugar terrible. Like I said I limit myself to 1 or 2a week and it doesn't make me feel sick or anything. I think I could live without it but it's one of those little things that I really enjoy, doesn't make me feel gross, and actually makes me feel more normal...if that makes any sense.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/19/13 3:12 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Personally, there is no way I'd be eating/drinking anything with that much sugar. It is a waste of calories and I am doing all I can to have a waist, lol. :)

Why not just brew coffee, add the creamer and some almond or flax milk and refrigerate it? That is what I do and I make a whole pitcher (I am using the sugar free pumpkin spice creamer and protien + flax milk) and make 1/2 a gallon at a time. I am more anti sugar than anti fat, so I've gone the sugar free route. I also use sugar free caramel syrup from Torani from time to time. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ms_Silly
on 10/19/13 3:30 am
If I made a whole pitcher I'd probably drunk it more often and in larger quantities. This method just works better for me since I've never been one to brew my own coffee. It's only 80 calories. And it's probably one of the only "large" quantities of sugar in my diet. I'm definitely not chugging it down. I'm mindful that it's sort of a treat and don't abuse it.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/19/13 5:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time, Ms_Silly wrote:
If I made a whole pitcher I'd probably drunk it more often and in larger quantities. This method just works better for me since I've never been one to brew my own coffee. It's only 80 calories. And it's probably one of the only "large" quantities of sugar in my diet. I'm definitely not chugging it down. I'm mindful that it's sort of a treat and don't abuse it.
The entire pitcher has 100 calories, so you can drink all you want.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Day_dream_believer
on 10/19/13 3:34 am

The coffee itself has only about 50 calories.  That isn't too bad if the sugar doesn't bother you and it is an occasional treat.  Later on when your malabsorbtion has stopped the 80 calories here and there will start to add up, but as long as you stick to 2x a week I think you are ok.  Just remember they are empty calories. I love my morning coffee and it is totally worth it to have a cup with a little sugar free creamer.  (totally love the sugar free pumpkin pie spice.  It is great it tea as well.)  I just remember to total it into my daily calorie total. 

The Salty Hag
on 10/19/13 4:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13
It would be too much sugar for me. I use Splenda in my coffee, and I haven't had any kind of coffee with real sugar in it in a year. If I go to Starbucks, I just get plain ol' black coffee and jazz it up myself.
It's ultimately up to you, of course. I completely understand wanting to feel more normal. ( When my hubby and I go out to eat, I get strange looks from some waitstaff when I order my food...and then don't eat most of it. I also still feel weird just sitting there once I'm full and hubby is still eating. )

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

lafalot
on 10/19/13 6:02 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

I was told that those who were successful in keeping the weight off kept to a formula of up to 5 g fat, 10 g sugar, and 15 g carb at a meal.  It would be a shame to hurt your progress over coffee.  Have you thought of adding a sugar free sweetner syrup (hazelnut, vanilla, or coconut) that you can get (Trobani).  These are the products used by Starbucks too.

bbearsmama
on 10/19/13 6:11 am
RNY on 02/28/13

Hi there-

I have coffee every morning with some cream and about 1 tsp. of sugar.  It. It doesn't make me feel ill but I bet it would if I went for cup #2. I am 7 months out and it seems that I am getting more sensitive sugar than I was previously. I am not sure how I feel about artificial sweeteners versus sugar. I sometimes worry about the dangers of artificial sweetener but then I know that sugar can be bad for one as well.

I will say that I have a startbucks cafe mocha every now and then and I haven't had any trouble with that. I get the smallest size and drink maybe half of it since I sip it slowly and it gets cold so I lose interest in it.

Good luck!! I sooo love my coffee, too!!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Justcallmesuz
on 10/19/13 7:51 am
RNY on 05/08/13

I use sugar free creamer vs. Fat free.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

kinny09
on 10/19/13 9:33 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Get the sugar free coffeemate and just use 2 tbsp (30 cals., 0 sugar), that's what I do. I drink Starbucks Via iced coffees every day this way, with 2 splendas and 2 tbsp sugar free hazelnut coffeemate, they have a SF caramel macchiato out too which is great. Enjoy!

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 188 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views