Coconut Oil Moisturizer?

jenorama
on 10/20/13 3:46 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I get really dry skin in the winter and I've seen some mentions on the boards about using coconut oil as a moisturizer. How does that work?  Do I just get a tub from Whole Foods and slather it on?  Is it greasy?  Best after bath time?  I use scrubby gloves to exfoliate, but my ankles still end up terrible. Any pointers on coconut oil are appreciated!

Jen

kinny09
on 10/20/13 4:47 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

My brother actually does just that, goes to Trader Joe's and buys a container of Coconut Oil and uses it on his hands during the winter, he says it works really well. I however usually make a scrub out of coffee grounds (just buy a can of inexpensive coffee) and sugar (equal parts), and I scrub that on my feet and arms in the shower. It works awesome. I usually get a pedicure once every 2 weeks also in the winter, just a basic one, I get really bad calluses though.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Kathleen11
on 10/20/13 6:11 am - Burlington, Canada

Coconut oil is great! A little goes a long way!

PetHairMagnet
on 10/20/13 8:38 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Keep in mind that coconut oil is going to be a solid at room temp, but melt quickly in your hands, so take a little and start rubbing it on and it will rub in relatively quickly/easily, but if you overdo it, the excess will sit on top and cause you to feel oily. I usually rub my hands with a bit of kosher salt after putting it on my body to help remove the excess from my palms and fingers. Everywhere else, just feels wonderfully moisturized and soft!

And you smell great with it, too!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics