New here!!!

taramills20
on 10/21/13 12:38 pm
RNY on 03/04/14

Hi everyone! 

I am fairly new to this site and looking for friends that have already had WLS or are getting weight loss surgery. 

I am ready to start my journey in to a new happier healthier life. I have had some minor set backs with my insurance and was suppose to have surgery this December and due to my weight being pre exciting. I now must wait till May 2014. 

Anyone have ideas on how to start preparing my body??? 

jamie99d
on 10/21/13 12:46 pm
VSG on 02/17/14

Hi, I am also having to wait until Feb. of 2014 due to needing to have the insurance for a year!! This waiting is killing me!! lol

Dukemom
on 10/21/13 12:52 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

If you drink a lot of caffeine or carbonated beverages, you can start weaning yourself off them now.

Also, try to start to eat smaller meals more often.  Eat your protein first, and try to avoid refined sugars and fats.  You can also get a free app for your iPhone or iPad:  My Fitness Pal.  It helps you easily track your food, exercise, and water (aim for 64 oz in a day) every Day.

Also, the more exercise you get in now, the better your body will be ready for surgery.  If nothing else, just to try walk every day.

I'm sorry you both have to wait longer than you thought.  My surgery is 12/18 - and I wi**** were tomorrow.

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Member Services
on 10/21/13 1:22 pm - Irvine, CA

Welcome to OH.  We are glad you have joined our community.  Sorry to hear about the delay due to insurance.  Take this time to prepare and learn as much as you can about post-op life.  The more you know the smoother your recovery can be.  

Here are a couple links to help you navigate our site: 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/sitehelp.html

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/terms-of-service.html

If you have questions or need assistance you can contact us at: [email protected]

PetHairMagnet
on 10/21/13 8:52 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Pacific Time, taramills20 wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I am fairly new to this site and looking for friends that have already had WLS or are getting weight loss surgery. 

I am ready to start my journey in to a new happier healthier life. I have had some minor set backs with my insurance and was suppose to have surgery this December and due to my weight being pre exciting. I now must wait till May 2014. 

Anyone have ideas on how to start preparing my body??? 

Do you mean pre existing? Only those with a history of being obese should be getting this, so technically the requirement is that it BE pre existing. What exactly is the delay? I'd be pushing back on that response from insurance!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jamienichols22
on 10/22/13 4:29 am - MI

I am scheduled to have my surgery December 16,2013 and since May of 2013 I have lost 47 pounds on my own :) I just yesterday fit into a size 24 jeans which has been a couple of years since I was able to wear. Some of the things that I have changed to help me is:

Stopped any carbonated or sugar drinks only do water with flavoring

Log EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth on my fitness pal 

Started walking (I downloaded runtastic on my phone to count my steps until I got a fitbit) and now I am actually a regular member at our local YMCA (they also offer financial assistance which I had to apply for to help with membership)

Make a routine that you will be able to keep ( I wake up at 6:30, 7 eat breakfast, 7:30 my first round of vitamins, 8 I get ready and head to the gym by 8:30) this will help prepare you

Get the vitamins and start them now! (vitamins never killed anyone and it helps get a routine to get them all in)

Don't rely on the scale, measure yourself because I am learning inches are more noticeable than the scale # 

Enjoy the process don't make it a job or you won't be able to stick to it, put your twist on the food just log EVERYTHING even cheats!! 

You are more than welcome to friend me on my fitness pal my username is JamieNIchols22

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Mommiecat
on 10/22/13 1:58 pm

I would work on drinking protein shakes.  LOL  That has been the most difficult thing for me. Finding one I like, getting them down (some textures/tastes gag me), and remembering to drink them!

It wouldn't hurt to start practicing the chewing your food well thing too. I am just now 6 weeks out  and can't seem to remember to eat slowly and chew things well. I despise throwing up and I've done it several times since surgery and I know it's totally my fault every time. :(

Getting regular exercise in - even if it's just walking for 15-20 minutes.  The gas issues just after surgery are so much easier to handle if you get up and get walking right off the bat.

That's my 2 cents at 6 weeks out. :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views