chewables, gummies, and sublingual forever?

proudmami135
on 10/24/13 5:44 am - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

Just wondering. I really hate the taste of chewable vitamins.

cajungirl
on 10/24/13 5:47 am, edited 10/24/13 5:49 am
On October 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM Pacific Time, proudmami135 wrote:

Just wondering. I really hate the taste of chewable vitamins.

No you don't have to take chewable forever.  I was swallowing vitamins within a few weeks of surgery.  Gummies are useless (unless there's a new one I'm unsure of) BUT B-12 is sublingual and you will need to continue it as sublingual forever.

Edit:  Yes on what Kelly said.  I didn't elaborate on the ways to take B-12 (injection or nasal) because I've always taken sublingual.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 10/24/13 5:48 am - OH

B12 must be suglingual, or the nasal spray or injections, forever because we will never have enough intrinsic factor in our pouch.

However, other vitamins can be pills we swallow.  The ASMBS says we can swallow vitamins as soon as we are able to tolerate swallowing pills.

Gummies are probably never a good choice. There are no gummy multivitamins that have all the vitamins and minerals we need, and I'm not aware of any gummies that have calcium citrate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Danimar
on 10/24/13 6:08 am - San Antonio, TX

Is the calcium the only reason why gummies aren't a good choice for multi-vitamin?  I wasn't aware of that and have been taking women's one-a-day vitacrave gummies since surgery.  I also take the Bariatric 500 mg calcium caramel chews 3x a day, along with the B12 sublingual, a Super B-Complex pill, a D3 pill and Bariatric Advantage Iron 2x a day, so I'm not so concerned if calcium is the only problem with the gummy multi-vitamin.... but if they just don't absorb for us at all, then I need to go get something else.  That's the first I've heard of gummies being a bad choice.  Do they not break down well enough in our pouch to be absorbed - or do they move through too fast?

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/24/13 6:51 am - OH

Compare the CONTENT of the gummies to the content of a Centrum (or generic for Centrum).  Two Centrum covers what the ASMBS says we need in a multi (but we still need more D, calcium, iron, and B12).  The Vitacrave gummies don't even come close to being a complete vitamin.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 10/24/13 10:30 am - OH

No, it's because they are missing so many things.  They don't have all the B vitamins, no selenium, the  Vitacraves are missing either zinc or copper, I forget which, no magnesium, no manganese, no chromium, no potassium, no vitamin K.... Unless you are taking all those things separately, you are missing a lot of nutrients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 10/24/13 7:01 am - Brighton, IL

It's not the absorption that's the problem,it's that they are missing nutrients we need. Their info lists 11 nutrients and my generic Centrum complete lists 33 nutrients.

Danimar
on 10/24/13 8:48 am - San Antonio, TX

Thanks for the information!  I'll pick up something else.  I haven't experienced any loss of energy or anything noticeable, so I'll take that as a good sign that I'm not too depleted at the moment, but I'll go get a higher quality multi to make sure I stay healthy.

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

proudmami135
on 10/24/13 9:37 am - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

Only my B complex is a gummy (sorry I didn't specify). My B 12 is sublingual and my multivitamins are chewable (Centrum chewables). I am almost through the first bottle and then I have another bottle (a bariatric brand I bought at the hospital), and then I am definitely switching to pills! I am hoping the bariatric vitamins I bought taste better than the Centrum chewables. I think the calcium I take tastes like a big chalky tum, but I can tolerate the taste. I've been taking pills since about one week post-op with my other meds, but I wasn't sure about the vitamins. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 189 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?