Newbie Introduction

jefferytmc
on 11/4/13 1:17 am

Just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Jeffery, I am 43 and am working through my clearances to have the RNY hopefully by the end of this year or early January.

My wife and I have gone back and forth over the years in regards to WLS, we always tried to do it with WW or diet and exercise.  We have had limited success, so a few months ago, we talked about the actual likelihood that we would be able to be successful long term.

I have been over 400 lbs for the last 15 or so years.  I have been over 300 for all my adult life.  I did get to 340 a couple of years ago doing a very calorie restricted diet, but without the limitation of the surgery, I went back to old style eating and gained it all back.

My wife and I believe that by both of us having this surgery, we can work together and being on the same plan, be successful long term.

My wife is ahead of me.  She does her last nutritionist appointment this Friday and that should be the final requirement prior to sending off for insurance approval.  She is hoping to to get scheduled prior to Thanksgiving (she is a teacher and is trying to minimize the impact to her students).

Anyway, we have two daughters (16 and 13) and have been married for 21 yrs.

I look forward to learning from each of you and working to make this a success long term.

Sincerely,

Jeffery

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

leisac
on 11/4/13 4:15 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

Good luck to you both on your journey. I think the support thing will be huge.

Leisa

Melanie C.
on 11/4/13 4:22 am

Good luck to both of you! I am also going through the the approvals and it seems to be taking for ever. I would love to have this done before the holidays. Its great that you are there to support each other!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/4/13 4:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Good luck to you! 

As far as your wife, if it were me, I would schedule surgery the day Christmas break starts and that way she'll have two weeks off instead of one. I was back at work after one week and could have returned after the 4th day, but having an extra week to lollygag would be nice, too! :) 

I hope that you are both approved and glad you are doing it 'apart'. I could NEVER have handled going through this right when my husband did. He was last Oct and I was this past May and the spacing was a blessing in our relationship! The hormone dumping was awful for both of us. 

While we've never been the size you are, I can tell you the difference for us from 354 and 333 has been SUPER in our lives overall. There is not a tinge of regret except that we did not do this in our 30s. We were not people who got fat...we were always fat, even as young children and for me, an infant. I weigh less at 46 than I did in 6th grade and still have 40 lbs to go to my goal. 

This is an amazing tool and only you can decide if you'll use it like a hand held screwdriver or a power drill through lifestyle changes.  

Best of luck to you BOTH!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jefferytmc
on 11/4/13 4:37 am

The time before Christmas would be her second choice.

The main thing is she does not want to plan for then and something fall through.  She would rather plan for the week before Thanksgiving and go from there.

Hopefully at her appointment on Friday with the nutritionist, she will be able to pencil in the surgery date.

I have a feeling that my only regret is that we did not do it sooner, but I do intend to make the most of the time after.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

gtrdyfor50
on 11/4/13 4:53 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Welcome and good luck to both of you!!!

soontoshrink
on 11/4/13 6:03 am - GA
RNY on 03/21/13

Best of luck to you both. My wife had a VSG done in October 2012 and I had an RxY in March 2013. It has been totally life-changing for both of us in the best possible way. I pray that it will be the same for you and your wife.

bulldog76ss
on 11/4/13 6:20 am - OH

I am currently 3 weeks post op from having the RNY.  I am considerably larger than you when I started the whole process.  If you have any questions I can at least tell you from my experiences.  Good luck to you and your wife.  Its been quite a ride so far.

Karen8268
on 11/4/13 7:34 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
Hi there!
I had RNY October 2, 2012. My husband had RNY October 30,2012
I started at 292 lb size 24. I am now 142 lb size 4.
He started at 428 size 54". He is now 210 and size 33".
We have 3 girls.... 23,18 and 3. We have been married for 25 years.
This is BY FAR the best thing we have EVER done for ourselves and our family!!!
Good luck on your journey and welcome!!

pamela258
on 11/6/13 3:29 am
with
Welcome --

Hoping you and your wife have great success.

RNY - 8/12/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 125 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views