PMS Weight Gain reduced with RNY

SkinnyScientist
on 11/19/13 10:18 pm

Hi Gang,

This question is for the girls. I have PCOS. I am doing RNY on 12/31/13. Here is my question, EVERY time I get in the PMS stage before my cycle, I gain 8-12 lbs.  Then I proceed to lose it over the course of 48 hours during the first two days of my cycle. Not to be gross, but it is a lot of urinating and fecal matter.

It is kind of insane, my clothes go from fitting or big to too tight then back to normal. It is so bad a guy very much into clothes and fashion and my job noticed that I had dramatically lost weight in a short span of time. I couldnt tell him what it was (because it was so gross) so I just gave him the vague "Cabbage soup diet" and kept moving.

After RNY, will this crazy PMS weight gain/loss cycle stop?  My diet pretty much stays the same throughout the month (i.e. high protein...low carb. I do eat one extra apple per day during this period to encourage the bowel to get moving...with little improvement).

It is a really confusing head game, I wonder why I am gaining weight, get irate, check the calendar and go "Lord, I really hope this is PMS."

I would like to see consistent losses after RNY, and if I am going to get this weight loss roller coaster, it will be hard to track.

Ocalasam
on 11/19/13 10:24 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I doubt it will stop.  That sounds like a water retention type issue (I have the same issue, not as pronounced as yours) and it really hasn't changed.  Just be aware that it happens to you and don't let it get you down when the scale goes up at that time of the month.  It can be frustrating!

Day_dream_believer
on 11/19/13 11:13 pm

The first few months after surgery I maintained with TOM.  Now I gain with it and then lose it a few days after.  This month I gained 5 pounds.  I have a Dr.s appointment tomorrow and am praying I lose it by then.  I know why I gained it, but it still freaks me out when I see a 5 pound gain overnight. 

Don't expect consistent losses with RNY.  Most people experience stalls that can last anywhere from a few weeks to months.  It is to be expected and will even out in the end.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/20/13 1:28 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I gain 5 lbs with each period and lose it within a day or two of the period ending. 

Do you wear extremely fitted clothes for a relative few pounds on your body to make such a clothing difference? Like I have to lose 20 lbs to change a size. At my heaviest, and pretty much until 75 lbs down, a change of that small an amount would not do it for me to be noticeable to others. Now I wear very fitted clothing and can tell when they are getting loose, but not enough for others to see a change, IMO. 

My opinion is that how your monthly cycle will be impacted would be difficult for anyone to say with certainty, but I can tell you that it is 5 lbs up and 5 lbs down with my cycle. 

HTH!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

SkinnyScientist
on 11/20/13 2:22 am

I am an extreme pear, large bottum and small upper waist. Get get anything that fits the waist is going to be be scarily tight in the bottum. I try to negiotiate between the two (belt the waist and put up with some tightness in the rear without approaching that terrible 80s and 90's phenoment of a toe....

PetHairMagnet
on 11/20/13 2:29 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

I am an extreme pear, large bottum and small upper waist. Get get anything that fits the waist is going to be be scarily tight in the bottum. I try to negiotiate between the two (belt the waist and put up with some tightness in the rear without approaching that terrible 80s and 90's phenoment of a toe....

Ah! That makes sense! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 46 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views