No pre op diet???

snoopygirl1230
on 11/28/13 3:57 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

I am worried that my doctor did not require a pre-op diet of any kind.  Is this common?  I am scheduled for surgery RNY 12/2/13.  I am very excited about it but also nervous. Did anyone else go without any kind of pre-op diet?

leisac
on 11/28/13 4:31 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

Every Doctor is different and hope I don't offend you but given your starting weight I'm a little surprised that you don't have to do something. I was only about 30 pounds less than you at my top weight.

As most overweight people have some degree of fatty liver disease the purpose of the pre-op diet is generally to shrink the liver. This makes the operation a little easier with less likelihood of damaging the liver which is a highly vascular organ. 

Did you query this with them at all and if so what was there response?

Cheers

Leisa

Dan M.
on 11/28/13 5:19 pm, edited 11/28/13 5:19 pm - Stone Ridge, VA

I didn't have a pre-op diet either.  I also had a mini open surgery, I am guessing the surgeon has more room to work around the liver.

Pre-op:  Lost 60 pounds
RYN Surgery on 11/19/2013 

Lessoflinda
on 11/28/13 7:14 pm - NY

I only had 3-day liquid diet pre-op.

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

Another Fatone
on 11/28/13 8:23 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I was required to lose 7 lbs. I asked why so little when I knew of others that were required to lose more, The PA said "because you are taller". Go figure...

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

poet_kelly
on 11/28/13 8:47 pm - OH

I assume your doctor feels a pre-op diet is not necessary for you.  But if you are concerned, why not ask him or her about it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/13 9:05 pm - WI

If there is anything I have learned on this forum, it is that the pre op diets are very different! Some people have to do a liquid diet, some like myself, have to do a high protein, low carb and some have no pre op diet. It depends on your surgeon and what their program is. If you are concerned, than I would ask his/her reasoning. I have about 180 pounds to loose and even though my insurance does not require weight loss before surgery, my surgeon would not touch me until I dropped 20 pounds first. But all the surgeons vary and have their own way of doing things. Good luck to you!!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/28/13 9:06 pm - Burleson, TX

SG1230: You will find-if you haven't already--there are NO "always" and "nevers" to this WLS life. Every patient/physician/NUT/etc is different..

Dr. Green was not my surgeon, but, if I am ever in need of a bari surgeon, for a follow up, I would absolutely use him (my surgeon is retired). I have met Dr G  several times (what a cutie-VERY important in a surgeon, ya know !!). Many of my friends are under his care. My friend, Peggy, leads his support group.

You are RIGHT to be researching and asking questions. I predict you will be a very successful "postie" real soon!

Godspeed!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

snoopygirl1230
on 11/30/13 12:14 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

Thank you for your insight.  I live in Lewisville and am having my surgery done at Doctors Hospital.  I would like to find a group closer to me than White Rock.  Where does Peggy have the support group?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/28/13 9:16 pm - OH

Many surgeons (including mine) don't require a pre-op diet (partly because the evidence is very mixed on whether two weeks is long enough to shrink a fatty liver, which is the primary reason for the pre-op diet).   There isn't anything dangerous about not doing so, and a surgeon who is adequately trained to do lap surgery should NOT have to convert to open surgery just because of a somewhat enlarged liver.  If your liver is seriously enlarged, that should show in a pre-op ultrasound and would require open surgery regardless of a two week pre-op diet.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 345 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 289 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 461 views