No pre op diet???

snoopygirl1230
on 11/30/13 12:23 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

I feel better reading your post. Thank you

MissK123456789
on 11/28/13 9:59 pm - PA

My surgeon did not require any pre-op diet from me.  I was actively losing weight from the first visit and he saw consistent weight loss.  I do not know if I was the norm or if it changes from person to person.

Good luck!!!

Karen

Stacy Sikes
on 11/28/13 10:33 pm - OR

As many have said, it all depends on the surgeon. I start my preop diet today. Three days of liquids only. My surgery is also 12/2. Good luck.

RNY on 12/2/13 with Emma Patterson,    Highest  Weight: 352 ; . Surgery Day: 334

cajungirl
on 11/28/13 11:01 pm

I didn't have a standard pre-op diet either. I was required to lose some weight before with the suggestion of lean meat and green leafy veggies which is what I did. The day before surgery I had to do liquids only. 

Not every surgeon requires weeks of liquids only. You may find your post-op diet to be totally different also. 

Don't compare our plan to someone else's. Your surgeon has a reason he/she does it that way. 

Best wishes on your surgery. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Bibo
on 11/28/13 11:52 pm

The first surgeon that I started with did not require a pre-op diet, as she said that it makes people tired and less prepared physically for the stress of surgery...and if they did need one to shrink their liver she would have them eat a light meal the day before so they would be less stressed physically.  The surgeon that i ultimately went with did require one..I had a two week protein shake diet..and at the end of the second week the surgery had to be rescheduled because of a clerical error..so I had it for a month...I did kind of say F it and had a light meal half way through because at that point i was kind of worn out....one thing I have learned through all this is to pay a lot of attention to what my doc and NUT say, obviously, but also to the experience of others who have training, and others who have been through it. I have learned/am learning to listen to my body, which is something I have never done before...sometimes I do what my doc and NUT say, and other times i don't, if I can find a medical source that backs u what I am doing. after my RNY, I  had a mastectomy, and the plastic surgeon wanted to give me toredol, which i can't take cause I had an ulcer. He was all "trust me, i know what I am doing"...my bariatric doc said no way, and I found a peer reviewd medical article from johns Hopkins that said no toredol, took it to my plastics guy and said no, i am not taking it. Ultimately he respected my choice....didn't like it much, but that's sort of his problem...(some surgeons have egos that are bigger than even mine).  So...what I am saying is that, while every surgeon is different, there are a lot of "right" ways to do it. If you really WANT to have liquids for 2 weeks...ask your doc and NUT if you can, and what are the reasons why they think you shouldn't......then choose...just let them know....so they can help you best.

daisy142
on 11/29/13 12:07 am - TX

All I had to do was lose 10 lbs prior to surgery which I did during my 6 month supervise diet. I did not have to do any pre-op liquid diet.  

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

RNY on 10/21/13

So many different surgeons, so many different plans....

I did not have to do a pre-op diet, just clear liquids and a 'lovely' bowel prep the day before. I also was not required to lose any weight prior to surgery. I was very happy that I didn't have to do a pre-op diet...I've done protein shake diets in the past with disappointing results and a huge increase in my *****iness, so it was great for everyone around me that I didn't have to go through that. ;)

Wishing you well on your upcoming surgery.

snoopygirl1230
on 11/30/13 12:28 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

I can totally relate. Thank you for the kind words.

snoopygirl1230
on 11/30/13 12:29 pm - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

I can totally relate. Thank you for the kind words.

kbinaz
on 11/29/13 8:38 am

My doctor didn't require one, either.  She used to but found it didn't make a difference.  It's amazing how many different pre and post-op diets you see on here!  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 206 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 300 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics