Blood Thinners

Jeffmorris
on 11/29/13 6:55 am - Little Rock, AR
RNY on 11/25/13

Did anyone else have to use blood thinner shots everyday after surgery? My surgeon has me on shots everyday for 21 days. Thanks

lindz
on 11/29/13 7:29 am - NY

Hi, I had an open RNY on 11/18, I came home on the 20th and was on a 7 day blood thinner shot 2x a day, I have to say out of all the research I had done prior to surgery that was the one thing I didn't hear a word about till the day I was leaving. I did hate doing the shots but in all truthfullness it wasn't that bad. My feelings are just follow the Doc's advise and all will be good. Also, this may be TMI but I feel I need to share, one of the side effects of this shot is "loose, tarry stools". I have to say that had freaked me out, at least you have a heads up...GOOD LUCK

START WT. 265     SURGERY WT. 233     CURRENT WT. 206.8

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/29/13 7:41 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I was on shots once per day for 14 days when I came home. It wasn't too bad. I put them in my thighs, alternated legs each day. I was quite nervous at first, but that passed pretty quickly & then it didn't seem like anything to do it.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Mary Catherine
on 11/29/13 8:02 am

It depends on your medical history.  My surgeon puts people on if they have prior conditions that increase the risk of a clot forming.

Jeffmorris
on 11/29/13 8:03 am - Little Rock, AR
RNY on 11/25/13

I am used to giving myself shots because I have been on insulin and testosterone shots until my surgery. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had to do them. I mean I am willing to do whatever my DR says because he is real good at this. 

big42long
on 11/29/13 8:36 am - OH
I only received them while I was in the hospital for 2 days after surgery

MrsLitch
on 11/29/13 8:51 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I had them for three days after I came home, once a day in the belly. My bff is a LPN so I asked her to come over and give them to me. I don't do shots well at all to begin with and knew I couldn't stick my own belly so she gladly did it. If she couldn't have I would of had my hubby learn how to do it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/29/13 9:44 am - OH

What White Dove said.  Also, some surgeons are ultra cautious about blood clots, and it is very easy for them to just have people stay on the injections.  Three weeks is a bit longer than what most people post about, though.

i have a strong history of blood clots (deep vein thrombosis) and normally take daily blood thinner, so any time I have any kind of surgery, I have to go off my pills and switch to suites, do shots and restart the pills in the hospital and continue both for about a week afterward (it takes about 4 days to get the full effect of the pill, so the shots do the job until that time).

It is a very tiny needle and you just have to insert it into the fat on your stomach.  It isn't a big deal for most people.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lovetocruz
on 11/29/13 9:53 am - Nashville, NC

I am scheduled for Dec 10, 2013.  My surgeon required hematology consult due to hx of pulmonary embolism.  I will have to take 2 shots daily for 6 weeks.

molly3613
on 11/29/13 10:05 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I had to give myself one shot daily for two weeks.  Tiny needle into my tummy every night. Very easy.  Pre loaded syringe then after the shot the needle retracted for easy, safe disposal.  But I was glad to be done with it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views