Hard time with getting fluids in, but warm seems better.

barb.k
on 12/3/13 3:21 am - Williamson, GA

I use to be big water drinker. I know realize that I chugged a lot. At work I wouldn't sip and notice how little I drank and down a 8 oz bottle.  Now that I can't do that I am having a hard time getting my fluids in. It seems as if cold fluids hit my pouch like lead although I think I am drinking slower.  I tried setting a timer after finishing eating to alert me to start, that has only helped a little. Part of the problem is also that I am SO COLD all the time. I drank a little veg broth yesterday as well as tea this AM. Any one else seem to do better with warm fluids. If so what do you drink. I am 4 weeks out today. I don't think I have gotten 64 oz in a day since surgery :(

barb.k

alaskasusan
on 12/3/13 5:00 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Early on, warm was definitely easier for me too.  If that is what works best for you, then keep sipping warm or ho****er, broth, tea - just make sure you aren't drinking calories.  You do eventually get to where you can drink more than a sip, but when well-hydrated you won't feel the need to chug a whole lot at once anymore.  I used to detest room temp water but now it doesn't really bother me, though I like icy cold even when it IS 20 below out there LOL.  There are different methods to make sure you get all your water in, and it does get easier as time passes.  

But you really need to make a good effort to avoid being dehydrated and that is really easy in cold weather.  You can try setting a pitcher out with your water for the day to keep tabs on how you are doing, set a timer to take a sip or two every minute or two, others have suggested putting a rubber band on your cup for every 8 oz so you end up with 8 on your cup at the end of the day, etc. 

Keep on keeping on and good luck to you!

scoobyluvr1
on 12/3/13 6:23 am
RNY on 10/21/13

I see this a lot.   I don't really have any trouble with cold as long as I am not trying to drink to fast.  If I do I definitely feel it.  It does seem that those who have trouble with the cold do better with warm liquids so stick to those if that is what works for you. I don't know if you still do any protein shakes at all but, they will count as your fluids also and unjury has a very good chicken soup flavor that is warm and comforting and will up your protein and fluids.   :)

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

barb.k
on 12/3/13 7:39 am - Williamson, GA

Susan, thanks for the tips on keeping track of fluid intake. I think today I will actually make 64 oz. I don't want to drink too many calories that is for sure.I have indulged in a skinny no sugar latte and mocha. My dietician said I could and count it toward fluids if it is decaf. Of course it has protein 10 grams but 100 cals. I am going to stock up on some low sodium chicken broth a well. I am just so cold all the time. I searched being cold and discovered it is very common.

Scooby thanks I had considered trying unjury chicken flavored soup.  It is just weid to go from a big water drinker to one that is trying to find things that count as fluids that are tasty I will stick to room temp and try slowing down on the colder fluids. thanks

barb.k

kbinaz
on 12/3/13 8:44 am

I've been drinking a LOT of herb tea.  I make it in a 16 ounce mug and it is lots easier to get my 64 ounces of water in that way. 

barb.k
on 12/3/13 11:20 pm - Williamson, GA

I did warm tea this AM with my fiber, yeah. 16 oz in. Thanks for the suggestion.

barb.k

daisy142
on 12/3/13 9:42 am - TX

I will be 4 weeks out Thursday and room temp or warm liquids go down much better!!  I am able to get about 80ozs a day but I have not had an issue with my liquid intake - thank goodness.  I would keep with the warm liquids if that helps you get the liquid in.  

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

Miss Liss
on 12/3/13 11:07 pm

I will be 10 years out in January, and prior to WLS I liked whatever I was drinking to be freezing cold.  Not anymore.  Room temperature water does better on my tummy.  I can drin****d tea or crystal light cold, but for some reason water just does better when it is room temp.  Cold water makes me feel sick.  I had hoped the farther out I got that would change, but it hasn't. 

barb.k
on 12/3/13 11:23 pm - Williamson, GA

Exactly Miss Liss, it is water cold that doesn't agree with me...It makes me feel sick too. Glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this. I am sticking to room temp and warm beverages.

barb.k

65rosesmom
on 12/4/13 12:07 am

I think this is a pretty common complaint.  I had to switch to warm of room temp drinks.  I keep a glass of unsweetened tea or crystal light going at all times and I never add ice or refrigerate anymore.  Hot teas and broth went down easier.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views