Apollo Revision

Rejoyce
on 12/4/13 8:17 pm - Dayton, OH

I have definitely failed my surgery.  I've made multiple efforts to succeed, but continue to fail.  I learned yesterday about the Apollo bariatric revision.  Does any one here know anything about it?  Also I wanted to search the whole website for posts on this, but couldn't figure out how to do it with the new format that I find.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Joyce

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

pathchic
on 12/4/13 9:25 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles!! I haven't heard of the revision (I am a newbie) but I DO know how to search the site - go to the con in the top right corner (the box with lines) - it will take you to a drop down list that has themagnifying glass search option - good luck! 

Rejoyce
on 12/5/13 3:00 am - Dayton, OH

Thanks and good luck to you!

Joyce

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/4/13 10:21 pm - OH

Based on the information available on Google, it is just a variation of the Rose and StomaphyX procedures (which both have/had absolutely abysmal "success" statistics).  I don't see anything in the descriptions of the Apollo procedure that would make it any more successful, unfortunately (I.e., they don't specifically mention anything that would set it apart from the Rose or StomaphyX).  As far as I know, insurance companies are still not covering the procedures because they simply don't work (but would like to hear from someone if some are covering them).

Are you sure that the failure is because of the pouch and/or stoma size? Have you had an EGD done to identify any physical failure?  My surgeon's experience was that less than 20% of people who were "sure" they had stretched their pouch or stoma and were gaining weight as a result actually had any physiological issue.  That means that for more than 80%, the problem was fixable with help from some combination of a dietician, an exercise physiologist, and/or therapist. I don't say that to be negative, I say that to encourage you that the chances are very good that you CAN fix the problem without the risk/expense of one of these questionable procedures

As I know that you already know, it is important to make sure that you addressing the core problem.  If the aspect you fix isn't the problem, or is just a very small part of the problem, the outcome isn't likely to be good.  These aren't questions for you to answer here, just to be sure you have considered for yourself: have you faithfully tracked your food intake (and portion size) over a significant period of time to be sure you are, indeed, eating on plan and eating an appropriate number of calories for your activity level? Are you sure your portion sizes are accurate? Are you getting any physical activity (not necessarily formal exercise) on a regular basis? Have you dropped your caloric intake back a bit to account for the loss of caloric malabsorption after 18 months or so? Are you snacking or eating other than at mealtime, or eating (or making food choices) as a response to emotional or psychological issues rather than as a response to a physiological need?  

I'm sorry you are struggling. Feel free to PM me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary Catherine
on 12/5/13 3:12 am

Lora,

As usual your answer is informative and helpful.  I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for what a valuable asset you are to this board.  We are so fortunate to get the benefit of your knowledge and communication skills.  I hope you know how appreciated you are.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/5/13 3:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On December 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Lora,

As usual your answer is informative and helpful.  I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for what a valuable asset you are to this board.  We are so fortunate to get the benefit of your knowledge and communication skills.  I hope you know how appreciated you are.

I will echo these sentiments 100%!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Rejoyce
on 12/5/13 3:26 am - Dayton, OH

Lora,

You bring up many good questions and issues.  I only yesterday learned about the Apollo procedure from a nurse in the surgical department of Sycamore Hospital.  I'm not at all sure whether the pouch or stoma has been stretched.  I know I have many complex issues with food and do consider myself an "addict".  I am addressing these issues with my therapist, but as you know this is a lengthy process.  I have not eaten as I should, at least not on a consistent basis.  However, I have a roommate (also a bariatric patient) who is a junk food junkie.  I infrequently indulge and yet I've gained 46 pounds since March, while she is bouncing up and down a few pounds, but hasn't had a significant gain.  I gained 30 pounds in a 6-8 week period, from late March to early May.  During that time, my sister had a catastrophic stroke, I had a friend move in with her daughter and I started epidural pain injections.  I think those three things came together to start the weight gain.  I started eating foods not really on my eating plan.  Despite all this, I do think there may be a "mechanical" breakdown somewhere.  I never came close to reaching my "goal" weight, despite rigorously following my eating plan, then I somewhat gave up, but despite that, I only gained a maximum of 5 pounds and would just kept bouncing up and down over the same 5 pounds.  I started really working at eating correctly early this year, but as I've already stated, in March I lost any ground I had covered.

So, I guess that is enough on this.  Whether I have surgery depends on numerous issues.  I am in therapy and I start workout twice a week with a trainer next Wednesday.  I've started tracking my food on myfitnesspal, although it has been sporadic..

Thanks for the feedback to you and everyone else *****plied.  It's nice to know that I'm not a pariah!

Joyce

Joyce

cajungirl
on 12/4/13 10:46 pm

Apollo procedure as I understand is similar to the ROSE procedure and STOMAPHYX.  Both of those procedures have had dismal successful.  People feel some restriction right out of surgery and within 2-3 months are back to feeling hungry.  Have you consulted with your surgeon?  An EDG will be able to see if you're stoma and pouch are still working or if there has been a mechanical failure.  It your pouch is still functioning like it is suppose to then talking to a Nut about a good eating plan may be your first step to getting control again.  If there is a mechanical failure a revision may be your best option.

Oh the ROSE and stomaphyx procedures were not being paid for by insurance companies due to them being experimental; so the Apollo probably would require self pay also at this stage.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Rejoyce
on 12/5/13 3:02 am - Dayton, OH

Thanks for the information!

Joyce

poet_kelly
on 12/4/13 11:08 pm - OH

Have you considered revising to DS?  The odds of success would be so much better.

In the meantime, how about coming back to group on Tuesdays?  Some support might be helpful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views