Carbs...

new_me180
on 12/9/13 1:48 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

...what's the deal with people on this forum staying away from them like the plague??? After my RNY, I was given a food guideline and it includes carbs at breakfast and dinner. Sometimes at lunch or one of the snacks. I'm just curious as to why some members don't eat them and if so, was it to the advise of their dietician or, they are a trigger food and don't want to risk eating too much or, skipping them enhances your weight loss by not eating them at all. My dietician insists every time I see her to eat my protein first and then try to eat my veg and some of the carbs as that ensures a balanced diet. Thanks.

Mary Catherine
on 12/9/13 2:00 pm

For me they are a trigger food, so I mostly avoid them. A balanced diet or moderation does not work for me.  By moderation, I mean eating a little of everything.  I had to cut out carbs six months before surgery and it was really difficult until I actually had the RNY.

When I tried to add a few carbs back at about six months out, I started to experience hunger for the first time since surgery.  When I went back to protein and non-starchy vegetables, the hunger went away again.

I cannot eat too much of things like potatoes, rice, bread, or pasta, but even a small amount makes me too full and then hungry again.

new_me180
on 12/10/13 4:19 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I guess I'm lucky that carbs are not my trigger food. I usually incorporate them at dinner and luckily enough, I can tolerate them. As long as I have a spoon or two, I'm good.

gbsinsatx
on 12/9/13 2:11 pm - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. Daily, I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates. I have never counted carbohydrate grams. Carbohydrates are not evil...LOL  

If interested, please see my profile page.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

new_me180
on 12/10/13 4:21 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Evil carbs..LOL. I follow the plan and don't go overboard.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/9/13 3:52 pm

Long term post op RNY some of us can develop "sensitvity to carbs"- increased insulin response. That for some of us may cause RH or just low blood sugar 2-3 hours after a meal with too many carbs. 

I developed that - and most starchy carbs, even small qty may cause low blood sugar rollercoaster. Not fun. I theoretically can do that, but I would have to eat every 1-2 hours and eat carbs- to correct my low blood sugars. That would make me gain weight very fast and I that is not an option. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

new_me180
on 12/10/13 4:23 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Good to know. Didn't know about the insulin response in some people. I can tolerate them but, I don't like carbs that much so, I eat very few of them.

Ladytazz
on 12/9/13 5:36 pm

For me there are two kinds of carbs.  There are the carbs that are found in things like dairy, fruits, vegetables and whole grains.  I don't avoid those but I find after eating my protein there isn't a lot of room for a lot of them.  There there are the carbs that come from processed, refined foods like sugar, white flour and things like that.  I pretty much avoid anything that comes from the middle of the grocery store.  I shop the outer edges, meat, dairy and  produce departments.  I avoid all things with sugar and gluten.  It was pretty easy for me to figure out the foods that I ate predominately and the ones that I would binge on and those are the things that I know I need to stay away from.  My own theory, which I have heard before, is that things like white flour have been refined so that parts of the wheat is removed and those are parts that our bodies need to make use of the food and our bodies crave the missing parts that are removed and that is why, when I eat those things I crave more.  I am actually craving the rest of whatever food that I am eating that my body needs.  I don't know if that makes sense, or if I am explaining it correctly but it makes sense to me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

new_me180
on 12/10/13 4:25 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Ye you make sense, lol. I get your point.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/9/13 9:24 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

For me it is two things. One, they were not (are not) in my plan except for complex carbs like those in yogurt. A cracker, piece of bread, you name it...not on my plan. I am almost 7 months out. My husband does have some carbs now that he's lost all his weight but still VERY limited. Like half a bagel thin a few times a week and always with protein.

Second, for me, bread is a HUGE trigger food. I can walk by cakes, cookies, candy...not a problem, never has been. But bread? Oh sweet baby Moses floating down a river in a basket of reeds made by his mother. I would give up a perfectly good kidney to have an unlimited supply of fresh baked sourdough bread with fresh butter on it. Seriously. I am actually having my mouth water to even TYPE that. The good news is, in my nearly 30 years of working not a soul has ever brought in a platter of freshly baked, steaming and buttery bread to the office so if I keep it out of my house, I don't have a problem keeping it out of my mouth!

There is a poster here from Switzerland who was given bread in the hospital on Day 1 and so her plan is different from mine. As are many others. There are many paths to success, but I know for me, I'd be off track soon if I was trying to eat bread because I don't know that I am at a point of moderation with that particular food. 

HTH!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics