food addiction instead of other addictions

angel91e
on 1/6/14 2:56 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

Ok so I was just reading about what some people felt was the source of their MO or SMO as it were.

AM I the only one out there who has a family history of addiction issues that latched onto food instead of street drugs, smoking, or booze???? 

When I was thinner I use to rely on male attention to fill that hole in my life created by whatever bad feelings were dragging me down, but as I gained weight and started having severe body image issues I turned more and more to food for comfort, companionship, or just to fill the endless boring hours of my life.  I know my lifestyle wasnt healthy and am trying hard to refocus.  I have my surgery date in alittle over a week, but am I the only one who faces this kind of need to change focus

curiouscat7
on 1/6/14 8:40 pm

Absolutely not... you are not alone. I would say most of us face food addictions to some degree. It is fantastic you realize this now and can work on it post op... they do surgery on your stomach and not your head. This is a tool for you to learn to Eat to live and not live to eat...

Good luck ...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/6/14 9:48 pm - OH

No, not at all!  The thing is, most people who have have addictions HAVE those addictions (to whatever substance) because of the underlying psychological/emotional issues.  It is the underlying issue(s), not the propensity for addiction, that initially causes someone to seek out the substance as a coping mechanism.  The addiction is just another layer to the scenario.  A true food addiction, as opposed to just deeply ingrained bad habits or coping skills, requires an additional level of treatment as well. 

I have to say, though, that based on just what you wrote, I don't see any indication  --  your family history of addictions aside, which does not automatically mean there is any physical predisposition to addiction since many "addictive" behaviors are simply learned coping skills! -- that you are a food addict.  The reasons you give for turning to food are the exact same things that the vast majority of obese people cite!  

It's just my opinion (which does have some professional backing), but it seems to me that you've applied the addictions label to yourself when it may not be appropriate. You seem to have the same issues as almost everyone else here, but you THINK you're different because you're focusing on the "addict" label.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mimisocks
on 1/6/14 10:42 pm - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Angel91e,

no, you are not alone in your thoughts.  I come from a family with alcoholics on both sides, but do not drink myself .  I always thought it was conscious decision not to be "like them".  Instead I surround myself with food, which has been just as damaging to my body as if I picked up the bottle.  Since I must have food to live, I also need to do the necessary head work to keep food in a healthy perspective in my life.

Best wishes as you travel on your weight-loss journey!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

pathchic
on 1/7/14 12:16 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

You've probably already figured this out from all the posts, but all of us are right there with you.  There are certainly those out there who have various medical conditions or therapy side effects that led them to obesity, but I think I am safe in saying that they are the minority. 

We all have issues when it comes to how we deal with food - you can call it addiction issues, crappy coping mechanisms, co-dependency, or whatever - the underlying theme is so similar it doesn't matter what name you give it.  It has taken me the better part of a year (with therapy) to come to a seemingly obvious conclusion: FOOD MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.  When so-and-so is acting like a ***** I can console myself.  When I kick ass at work, I can reward myself. And so forth and so on... in a way it gave me some kind of control over my life and emotions - the Catch 22 being that as I relied more and more on my go-to coping mechanism the more problems I created for myself.

You mention that prior to your weight gain you "used to rely on male attention" - and that seems significant to me.  Before, you coped with life using things that were external, things that you didn't really have much control over - which is frustrating and ultimately unsatisfying.  You moved on to something that you COULD control, namely food, to fill the void... do you see my point?  You tried to take control of your wellbeing, which is a good thing, but unfortunately you turned to something that was ultimately self destructive... now, you are ready to move on to the next stage - healing yourself and learning new ways to cope and take care of yourself. It sounds so easy, but damn, it really isn't.  You are unlearning a lifetime of things - but you are on the right track, you realize that your focus needs to change - best of luck!!!

angel91e
on 1/7/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

Thank you all so much for your insight and wisdom!  It helps to know that other people have faced the same hurdles I am now facing and have had success.  I cant begin to tell you all how helpful that can be

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

sundaymourning
on 1/7/14 2:32 pm

Oh I definately think I have an addiction to food. My Father, 2 of my Uncles one from each side, and my Aunt from my Fathers side are all addicts. I have always struggled with my weight and I feel like it is an addiction. So there has got to be a link. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 231 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?