Sodas after surgery...UGH

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 2:23 am, edited 1/14/14 2:24 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

So today, I fell to temptation by having a 1/2 cup of Coke soda. I'm 7 months out and I didn't get sick or anything. I wish I would have because I don't won't to go back to any bad habits. My surgeon and nutritionist are against sodas and told me I could never have them again. I just feel bad and needed to talk to folks who understand me more with life after weight loss surgery.

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 2:25 am - OH

Was it diet soda?  I think most people are able to tolerate diet soda.  Were you expecting it to make you sick? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 2:29 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Nope...it was regular Coke!! Don't beat me up please..  I was expecting to dump it. I tried Diet Coke before but it's super strong and the fizz made me feel bloated.

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 2:33 am - OH

I'm not going to beat you up.  You are an adult and you get to make  your own decisions.  I'm wondering why you drank it if you thought it would make you dump.  Did you want to dump?  And if you did, why do you want to make yourself sick?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lovedbymany09
on 1/14/14 2:44 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

The amount I had was probably less than the 10g sugar that the dietician teaches to stay within. But since this was the "real Coke" I didn't know if it would still make sick regardless of the sugar. Like I said, I fell to temptation of wanting to try it. I see Gastric Bypass patients all the time drink sodas. When I tried and didn't get sick, I wish I would have because I know that I would not do it again. I have only dumped one time in my 7 months after surgery.

Amy R.
on 1/14/14 8:30 am

I wonder how bad your one dumping episode really was if you were actually wishing to do it again.  I still have dumping issues 5+ years out and I can GUARANTEE you that I've not ever done it on purpose.  Yeesh.

The good/bad news is that since you didn't dump, you get to decide now for yourself if you want to be a Coke drinker.  Personally, I don't have the spare calories in my daily food plan to use on something that doesn't help keep my tummy full.  (Full Disclosure: I do drink Diet Coke.  And probably too much).

No one should be beating anyone up, ever, here on OH.  The assumption is we're all over 18 and thus get to make our own choices, including whether or not we comply with our surgeon's post-op plan or even conventional WLS wisdom.

Best of luck to you as you continue your journey

amy

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 8:48 am - OH

I think some therapy  might be helpful for you.  What I'm hearing you say is that you thought drinking soda would make you sick and you wi**** had made you sick, yet you chose to drink it and you're disappointed that it didn't make you sick.  When you purposely choose to do something you think will harm you and you hope it does harm you and you're disappointed that you weren't harmed, well, I think that's something that a therapist might be able to help you with.  Because it seems like kind of unhealthy thinking.

siberiancat
on 1/14/14 7:08 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

My thought, when I give into temptation and have no negative result, it just reinforces my desire to give in again and again and often in another area.  So, for me, I would stay away.  I was addicted to Diet Pepsi for more than 30  years and haven't had any in 5 years.  I no longer desire it and always, always have water beside me so I have something to drink, if thirsty or just tempted.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/14 3:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you really have to have a soda, why full sugar instead of diet? The carbonation is the same.

I have diet soda about once a week, at the movies. Fountain drinks have less fizz than  bottled or canned. And it sits for 45 minutes or so if I have a little popcorn, so it's even less fizzy.

And for those about to jump on me for drinking diet soda -- I drink it through a straw, too! 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 1/14/14 3:22 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

jumping!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 279 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Monday Menu?