Fullness?

queenbmamafranks
on 1/13/14 10:39 am
RNY on 12/19/13

When will I feel fullness? I will be 4 weeks post op on Thursday but I still don't get a full feeling. I religiously measure my food. I am allowed 2 oz at each meal but I don't feel full. I'm not hungry but I don't have a full feeling and I have to watch myself that I don't eat too fast. I feel like I could eat my food a lot faster than 30 min.

poet_kelly
on 1/13/14 10:40 am - OH

I'm sure you could eat two ounces faster than 30 minutes.  I think that's an awfully long time for just two ounces.

I was about three months out before I started getting full feelings and hungry feelings.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 1/13/14 12:26 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
I'm a lucky one I guess - I for sure feel full after my 2 oz... anymore and I am uncomfortable. But I've heard that our stomach nerves don't heal for awhile and until they do, that full feeling may take a few months.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 1:29 pm - OH

How long it takes to feel full varies widely from one person to another, but it is usually within the first 6-8 weeks (when your body heals up). A few of us cold feel fullness almost as soon as we were allowed solid food.

We are encouraged to eat slowly so we can chew thoroughly and can feel full before we get overly full, but taking 30 minutes to eat may very well work against you in the long run unless you are going to measure portions for the rest of your life.  The problem is that -- depending on how dense the food is -- it takes about 30 minutes (sometimes less, sometimes more) for a full pouch to empty.  That is why the restriction on drinking after meals is 30 minutes. So if it takes you 30 minutes to eat a normal (for a RNYer) size meal when you are further out, by the time you are eating the end of the meal, the first part of the meal has already exited the pouch and therefore you may end up eating more because you don't feel full since some of the food is already in the intestine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gabbie3275
on 1/14/14 1:25 am

I had surgery May 1st 2013, and i still do not get a full feeling. I do however get the hiccups sometimes, and i feel like that is my sign I'm full. 

stay lighter!

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 6:30 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I've wondered about this too. I am four weeks post-op and eating pureed foods.  My meals are generally 1/4 cup of something pureed, plus a TBS of a veg or applesauce ove 20-30 minutes.  I don't feel full per se, but I seem to get gassy and gurgly after a couple of bites. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 276 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views