Just curious

chaly
on 1/15/14 8:51 am
RNY on 11/05/13

I had something new happen today.  I'm too worried as of yet, but merely curious as to what you think.  This morning I woke up and made a protein drink out of water.   It is the same protein I have been using since before surgery.  Anyway, immediately after finishing it I got very hot and sweaty.  I also was nauseated.  It lasted about 20 minutes and I was fine.  Tonight my honey picked me up a cheddar broccoli soup and the same thing happened.  I can understand the soup may have something I shouldn't have eaten, but the protein?  What is up with that?  Suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 8:55 am - OH

I don't know.  Sounds a little like low blood sugar.  Do you have a glucometer?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chaly
on 1/15/14 8:58 am
RNY on 11/05/13

No, I don't.  I have never been diabetic.  I did have to take glucose after surgery in the hospital though.  I just don't understand why does it happen immediately after eating. Wouldn't my blood sugar raise?

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 9:01 am - OH

Typically that's what happens, yes.  But since it sounds a little like low blood sugar, I thought if you had a glucometer, then if it happens again you could check it just to see.

I think my suggestion would be to eat small amounts more often, at least for a few days, to see if that makes it quit happening, whatever it is.  And if it keeps happening, then I'd call your doc.  Sometimes we just have weird reactions to things and can't figure out why, and if it doesn't happen repeatedly, then it's probably nothing to worry about.  But if it keeps happening, then you'd want to figure it out.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chaly
on 1/15/14 9:07 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Thank you Kelly I will give that a try.  I have to admit my protein drink was after sleeping many hours, and the soup was late this afternoon probably six hours after a greek yogurt.  So your probably right on eating more often. 

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 9:10 am - OH

OK, that's good info to know.  I would try to keep track of it if it happens again, like maybe even write down when it happened, what you ate, how long it had been since you ate, etc.  To a certain extent, as long as it's not a symptom of something seriously wrong, you don't necessary need to know exactly why it's happening, even though that would be nice.  But the important thing is figuring out how to stop it from happening.

scaryreader
on 1/15/14 10:23 am - Chicago, IL

I know several people who've had RNY. They've had the same symptoms as you. It's called dumping.

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 10:25 am - OH

I know her symptoms sound a bit like dumping but she didn't eat anything with enough carbs/sugar to cause dumping.  Also, she didn't mention having a rapid heartbeat, which typically comes with dumping.

chaly
on 1/15/14 10:37 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Nope, there was no rapid heartbeat. Also I try very hard to stay on plan and watch what I eat.  I know the soup wasn't the "best" choice, it was not the worst.  I have no reason to believe it was dumping that's why I posted on here.

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 10:44 am - OH

The soup might have been high in fat, but usually eating too much fat causes stuff like gas and bloating and maybe diarrhea.  What you describe doesn't sound like a typical reaction to too much fat, although your body could react in a weird way to it.  But your protein shake wasn't high in fat, so I wouldn't think that was the issue.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics