excercise

jageneva
on 1/19/14 1:12 pm
I joined the gym two weeks ago. I need some advice on what I should be doing to help prevent the excess skin under my arms and my stomach?
poet_kelly
on 1/19/14 8:07 pm - OH

There is no exercise that will prevent excess skin.  You have excess skin because your grew extra skin to fit your body.  Once you grow skin, you can't ungrow it.  there is no exercise that will ungrow skin.  Exercise will tone muscle, but it won't do anything for skin.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Katie K.
on 1/19/14 9:18 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

What Kelly said. My new song ought to be I Believe I Can Fly :P

pathchic
on 1/19/14 10:15 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Bahahaha!

hibbyangel
on 1/20/14 12:59 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

my boxing coach says the only thing you can do is make bigger muscles to fill the empty space..otherwise..batwings forever..or plastics

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 2:00 am - OH

Depending on how much skin you have, muscles that big might not look attractive.  I mean, I do not want to look like the Incredible Hulk.  Also, you might have to lift a LOT of weights to get muscles that big!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SteveWebb
on 1/20/14 1:18 am - NC

Me gonna get all pumped up!

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Cunning_Pam
on 1/20/14 1:45 am
RNY on 12/18/13

My arms are hruge. HRUGE. They're the only part of my body that's not proportional (yeah, it's all fat, but my arms are so much fatter!) and I know I'm going to have issues with them. So I just resolved to learn to love my bingo wings until I can get plastics done. 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

sw12
on 1/20/14 1:54 am

I have a question regarding lifting..When I saw my NUT last week she said to be careful about lifting because she has seen women who lift lose slower than they wanted or compared to "normal". Has anyone else heard this? I am a patient at Stanford so basically everyone there is among the "best"--but I am just not sure about this...Thoughts?

I am 6 weeks post-op on Tuesday and was looking forward to doing exercises to tone my arms (my legs are basically fine muscle wise) but now I am considering waiting a while longer. I do 60-90 min cardio 6 days a week. I have always lifted some, so I am not a newbie to anything but I did not know this about post-RNY during the honeymoon phase.

Cunning_Pam
on 1/20/14 1:58 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I can see how lifting might actually slow weight loss a bit. When you lift, you're building muscle mass. Muscle mass weighs more than the same amount of fat. So if you're adding muscle, you're actually putting on a little additional weight, but you're getting smaller. Adding muscle mass will also boost your resting metabolic rate, because muscle tissue uses more energy than fat. So gaining muscle is a good thing, but yes, it might make the scale slow down a bit. The trick is to measure yourself, and monitor your measurements as well as your weight. If you're adding muscle, your scale may slow down, but your size may change (decrease!) more rapidly.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics