getting discouraged

new_me180
on 1/28/14 1:29 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I went for my 10 week visit with the nurse and NUT two weeks ago and according to the scale, I had gained seven pounds from when I was admitted to the hospital the previous week for scratches to my pouch and low potassium. The nurse said it was probably water weight as I had been given a few bags of IV's and I should loose it in a few days or so. I agreed as I was a little puffy as well. Well two weeks on and I went to the f/u with the surgeon, I'm still at the same weight and still have the same seven pounds on me. I must admit, I was a little upset and discouraged as I thought I had lost the "water" weight and a little bit more. I had even upped my water intake since then(up to 10 cups) and I exercise five days a week. I eat according to the meal plan and I don't get where I'm going wrong, I don't cheat or eat things I'm not supposed to eat. Although my plan calls for five to six meals a day, I usually do the five as that's all I can manage. I don't own a scale so, I don't obsess over the numbers but, when I don't see the scale go down during my visits, I do get upset.. I know I'm only three months out but, I just can't help fretting over the numbers. I know I didn't get this big overnight and don't expect to lose it overnight as well, but.....seeing the scale going down rather than up would be more encouraging.

What I'm happy about though is, that I have more energy than I've had in years. I am able to walk the treadmill without feeling like I'm going to die and at a faster pace too, lol. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks

poet_kelly
on 1/28/14 1:31 am - OH

Did the surgeon think you were retaining water?  Honestly, I'd try not to worry about it too much.  At ten weeks out, you're going to go on to lose a lot more weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

new_me180
on 1/28/14 10:32 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

He really didn't say anything when I mentioned it. He said I was doing good and to continue what I was doing. He kinda looked at me like I had two heads when I said I wasn't losing.

chaly
on 1/28/14 1:51 am
RNY on 11/05/13

I had my surgery on Nov. 5, so I am a few weeks behind you.  For the past three weeks I have been stuck within the same 5 pounds.  I have literally watched my weight go up 5 pounds, and I have not been off program.  I am not saying that yours is no****er gain, I am just saying that I have gained weight post surgery, and I have not done anything to cause it.  This week I did have my weight drop below my lowest post surgery weight, so I am hoping that this stall is broke.  Your not alone, and I too know how discouraging it can be.

new_me180
on 1/28/14 10:40 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Good to know it's not just me. I have been going over and over again the foods I ate in the last three weeks and was stumped at where I went wrong. I eat almost the same thing everyday, just alternate between chicken and fish. I average between 600-800 cals a day, all my water and some. I just wasn't expecting the gain after doing so well. Thanks, made me feel a bit better.

a_better_life81
on 1/28/14 3:51 am - Concord, NC
RNY on 07/24/12

Sounds like you are experiencing a good old fashioned stall. I get them and I had some that would last a month or so then BAM, I'd drop 10 lbs in a week. I never did anything I was supposed to either, sometimes, your body just has to rest and catch up. Especially if you have been sick.  Three months out is a very common stall time! Give it some time, keep doing what you are doing and your body will catch up and then you will move right along again! 

new_me180
on 1/28/14 10:53 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I heard about the famous three week stall, never the 3 month stall. I guess I missed those posts, lol. Thanks, I will take it easy and try not to stress. As long as I don't stray from the plan, I should be good. My energy doesn't reflect the weight. I have tones to burn.

kbinaz
on 1/28/14 12:11 pm

90 pounds in 10 weeks??? Sounds awesome to me!  I've lost 27 pounds in 7 weeks, so I'm waaaay behind you!  I'm curious about the scratches to your pouch?  What is that?  Just curious!

new_me180
on 1/28/14 1:03 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks. The scratches I'm not sure what caused them. My surgeon said it was probably some food that I had eaten that must have done that. I think they are healing well as I haven't had anymore episodes of nausea and vomiting.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 206 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 300 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics