Anyone Else Scared of Eating?

annetteg
on 1/28/14 10:48 pm

Hi All! Haven't really posted much but read a lot! But I am starting to get mad at myself because I am afraid to eat food. My nutritionist is NO help. His answer to everything is lean meat and veggie - for breakfast lunch and dinner. I am 6 weeks post op and am terrified of calories, fat and carbs.

I eat almost the same thing every day and am getting sick of it.

B - sugar-free oatmeal

S - decaf coffee with sugarfree hazlenut creamer

L - either sliced deli meat with veggies or a greek yogurt

S - decaf coffee with sugarfree hazlenut creamer (or a protein shake if I feel like it)

D - 1/2 cup chicken w/ broccolli ( I order a large portion and eat it the entire week)

I have absolutely no time to cook - 3 kids (10, 8, and 11 months) who have a multidude of activities and I work full time. My husband works evenings so I do it all on my own. Can anyone truly help me figure out what I should be eating at this point? I have lost 35 pounds so don't get me wrong, I am happy with the weight loss, but I don't think I am eating very healthy. Should I be afraid of carbs? Fat? or Calories? Trying to avoid all 3 is driving me bonkers...

poet_kelly
on 1/28/14 10:56 pm - OH

Looks like you're not getting enough protein.

No, you shouldn't be afraid of carbs or fat or calories.  You need some carbs and some fat in your diet in order to be healthy.  If you are terrified of eating, I suggest seeing a therapist. 

I know you said the nutritionist wasn't helpful, but have you seen a registered dietician?  A RD could help you work out a healthy meal plan.  But if eating terrifies you, I think that's more a psychological issue than a nutrition issue, and I'd see a therapist to work through that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

annetteg
on 1/28/14 11:02 pm

I wan't being literal... I meant that I am trying to keep all 3 very low but it is hard to watch all three. I think if I knew how much of each to eat a day, I would be happy. For now, I try to keep carbs under 30, as little fat as possible and calories between 450-600?

I am seeing the dietician/nutritionist (not sure which he is) they have on staff at my surgeons office.

siberiancat
on 1/29/14 12:59 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

This is from my bariatric program:

0-6 months: 600-800 calories, 40-60 carbs, 60-80 grams protein

6-12 Months: 800-1200 calories, 60-80 grams carbs, 60-80 grams protein

12-18 months: 1100-1300 calories, 100-130 carbs, 80 grams protein

Maintenance: 1200-1400 calories, 130+carbs, 80 grams protein

Keep a food journal and write down every bite and then tally up totals.  I do tally after lunch, after supper and at bedtime.

Hope that helps.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

tdbull
on 1/28/14 11:18 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
At 6 weeks out I was eating about the same number of calories that you are eating. I use myfitnesspal to track everything. I just enter the food and it does the rest for me. I am almost 6 months out and I still only focus on protein, sugar and fat when I choose my food. Then I let myfitnesspal track the calories, carbs, etc.
I eat a lot of;
Boca veggie burger patties
Spinach salad with tomatoes, cucumbers with balsamic vinegar only. Sometimes I throw in a Tbs of almonds for crunch and added protein.
grilled chicken no skin, same with fish. I do eat steak about 2 times a month - I never go over 4oz at a sitting on any of these.
Skinny Pop popcorn (2 cups) or Harvest Pea Crisps for a snack. Can get both at Costco.
A piece of fruit a couple times a week - love Fuji apples, and frozen banana slices.
Scrambled egg with 1/4c shredded cheese on top.
Deli meat wrapped around string cheese.
Steamed vegetables are great - add seasonings for flavor. Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots. Yummy.
I choose not to eat any 'whites' like rice, potatoes, bread. I just don't want the calories from these types of food groups.
And drink ALOT of water, propel, other zero calorie liquids.
Continue to read your labels so that you are mindful, but really focus on those proteins, fats and sugars.
Best of luck to you!!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Dcgirl
on 1/28/14 11:23 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Annette,

I TOTALLY get where you are coming from!  I am constantly wondering if I am eating too much and trying to make sure I have the right balance and am still losing weight.  Like you, I am six weeks out :)  I actually do a post most days called "What's on the menu today, RNY-ers".  Perhaps click on the little magnifying glass symbol and search for that and you can see other people's menus.  I find it SO helpful.

It's funny - your issue is that you have 3 kids and a busy life.  I have no kids so when I cook, I have to eat whatever I make for like six meals :)  I have found some great "go to" meals and reading what other people are eating gives me great ideas.

A few ways you can easily incorporate different foods that are HIGH in protein.

1. Cook a package of 99% fat free ground chicken or turkey.  This 20 oz package will give you seven meals! I like to divvy them up into 7 small tupperwares.  Some of them get some taco seasoning and a tiny bit of light mexican cheese.  Some get a tbsp or two of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of light mozzarella.  Or whatever seasoning you like!

2.  Do you have a Trader Joe's?  They have awesome protein.  I buy veggie burgers (read those labels!), chicken patties, and bags of frozen shrimp.  I can throw shrimp into a small pan (maybe 7 shrimp total but sometimes that is too much) and then season it with a tbsp of pesto and some red hot pepper flakes.

3. Get a slow cooker.  I just did and I know a lot of people make a big pot of turkey chili and eat it all week.  There are tons of recipes where you can just throw stuff in before work and when you get home, viola!  Your kids can eat it too.

My goal is to be around 500-600 calories per day, under 20 g of carbs, and over 60 g of protein.  I have a little more on days when I do a lot of exercise because I need a snack before working out (like a light cheese stick or a protein shake).  My NUT also just says "get 60 g of protein or more" and doesn't give me a calorie goal.  However, in seeing what people are eating from my posts, I am right inline with the majority, I think.

We got this!

Emily

annetteg
on 1/28/14 11:48 pm

Thank you both for the ideas!

_nicky_
on 1/29/14 12:53 am - OK
RNY on 06/25/13

My nutritionist (she's an RD actually) gave me a protein goal and all of my meals are supposed to be protein first and then veggies or fruit if I have room. My protein goal is 80 grams a day. Did your nutritionist give you a protein amount? 

Other than the protein I'm not given any goals. If you are eating protein first then the rest works itself out is what I've been told. So for my plan, oatmeal wouldn't be a good choice since it's so low in protein I won't have room to meet my protein goal for the day. 

I sometimes have a protein shake if I can't meet the goal without it. Otherwise I stick to food to meet the protein goal. When I was 6 weeks out I definitely was drinking a shake to meet my goal. However, some people never drink them and meet their goals just fine without them. 

Things I eat a lot of:

Deli turkey and ham

String cheese

Eggs...all different ways 

Greek Yogurt (right now I really like Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt)

Boca burgers and chicken patties (found in the freezer section...I like the all American flame burger and they also have a regular chicken patty and a spicy one)

Beans (canned beans)

Baked chicken (You can bake a bunch and then have leftovers or feed the family)

A lot of people that cook for families will make a protein dish and then make a side of rice or pasta to go along with it that the family can have and then stick to the protein themselves. 

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

PetHairMagnet
on 1/29/14 1:09 am, edited 1/29/14 2:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 29, 2014 at 6:48 AM Pacific Time, annetteg wrote:

Hi All! Haven't really posted much but read a lot! But I am starting to get mad at myself because I am afraid to eat food. My nutritionist is NO help. His answer to everything is lean meat and veggie - for breakfast lunch and dinner. I am 6 weeks post op and am terrified of calories, fat and carbs.

I eat almost the same thing every day and am getting sick of it.

B - sugar-free oatmeal

S - decaf coffee with sugarfree hazlenut creamer

L - either sliced deli meat with veggies or a greek yogurt

S - decaf coffee with sugarfree hazlenut creamer (or a protein shake if I feel like it)

D - 1/2 cup chicken w/ broccolli ( I order a large portion and eat it the entire week)

I have absolutely no time to cook - 3 kids (10, 8, and 11 months) who have a multidude of activities and I work full time. My husband works evenings so I do it all on my own. Can anyone truly help me figure out what I should be eating at this point? I have lost 35 pounds so don't get me wrong, I am happy with the weight loss, but I don't think I am eating very healthy. Should I be afraid of carbs? Fat? or Calories? Trying to avoid all 3 is driving me bonkers...

I have to say, I never understand people who say they have kids and no time to cook. What on earth are you feeding your kids? Why not make something you all can eat and then just have a small portion of that? It is a hot button item with me. I make the same food for my family as I make for me, the portion is just very different for me than everyone else. 

You are eating a lot more than I ate at 6 weeks out, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not seeing it be protein focused. You have far more vegetables than I did. And a carb is not just a carb. The carbs from a yogurt are entirely different than carbs from crackers. I'd rather have a small bit of full fat than a large portion of low fat. I know there are those that are all about low fat and being able to have more, but when I hear that I just see shiny leotards, leg warmers and Suzanne Somers in a terry headband--it's sooooo 80s. :) Healthy, full fats are better for your body, IMO.

What does your nutritionist say? Did they not give you a sample menu? Have you called them for guidance? Have they given you any guidelines you can refer back to? ETA: I see where you said they were no help. But literally NEVER gave you guidelines? If you shared those, we could be better at helping you with idea. For instance I had ZERO fruit allowed, others could have it at this stage.  Back to my initial note now.... :)  I can tell you what I was eating and just about everyone here could, but if your plan is not in alignment with those of others, it won't help. I can tell you that take out Chinese was absolutely not on my plan at 6 weeks out. The sauces are generally high fat, high sugar and loaded with sodium and not doing you any favors for learning better eating choices. Not everywhere, but I'd go so far as to say the majority of Chinese food in the US falls into those four basic truths. I was also not allowed broccoli at that point, either. And I feel pretty confident it would not have sat well for me.

As little protein as you appear to be getting, I'd consider adding a scoop or 1/2 scoop of protein to your coffee instead of creamer which is empty calories, sugar free or not. Try it with Vanilla Bean Torte or Chocolate Truffle protein. I don't know of a hazelnut protein or I'd suggest that. I went with sugar free syrups and almond milk instead of creamers. Two coffees a day with a single tablespoon of creamer as part of 400 calories a day and you are getting about 15% of your calories from creamer, taking into account of course that different brands have different calories, but the ones I have for my husband, who is at 1,000 calories a day equal that. That many empty calories would not make me happy. I'd rather have calories from protein and be hitting my goals for 'good food' a day instead. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

LilyBugsMommy
on 1/29/14 1:16 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Here is some info from my 3 month follow-up appt. that I shared on here before. I realize that you are only 6 weeks out, but, maybe this will help guide you over the next few weeks?:

Today I had my 3 month (by date) follow-up appt. and here is a rundown of what happened: First I saw the Nutritionist. She says I am doing great on my eating, just need to incorporate more carbs and fibre. Nutritionist said I should be getting at least 90g of Carbs, 14-25g of Fibre and 60-90g of Protein everyday. I am excellent for Protein, but not the others. She recommended at least 2 servings of fruit per day to help with the fibre intake. She recommend juicy fruits, like oranges, grapes, etc. so that it would add to my fluid intake as well. It was discussed that I would consume all of these nutrients by eating 5-6 small meals each day. I basically eat about every 2-3 hours throughout the day, otherwise, I start to feel sick (I believe this is my new hungry feeling).

I decided to share this information, because I thought it might help others that are about 13 weeks out, with the amounts of carbs, fibre and protein that they need. I know that I have been so focused on protein that everything else gets left behind. Also, as a lifelong dieter, I have in my head that carbs are bad, when really, they can be our friend, lol! She also recommended 900-1200 cals per day, depending on whether or not I was able to exercise that day (900 on a non-exercise day & up to 1200 on an exercise day).

I hope this helps :) I know every centre is different, but, this has been working for me :) Good luck!  

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?