Well....$%#@$%$@!! I wasn't expecting this!

BamaBelleAmy70
on 2/10/14 11:50 pm
RNY on 10/24/12

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

I am about 16 months post op. I have lost all the weight I have wanted to lose and actually about 15 pounds more than my surgeon wanted me to lose and I feel great...Well...MOST...well actually SOME of the time. I had really expected to feel great ALL the time after losing 130 pounds from my heaviest. I am very happy about that because it is a huge deal. I can wear normal clothes and I am not size Shamu anymore. My hubby bought me some stuff from Victoria's Secret for Christmas!  BUT...I have people telling me I am too skinny and trying to force food good or bad down my throat which ticks me off. Uh...EXCUSE ME! That's how I got my myself in trouble in the first place. DUH!  Really? I have a BMI of 21. My surgeon is pleased so WTH! Sorry for the rant! 

Anyway...I have a question for everyone. I have had an issue lately with being exhausted ALL the time. I am taking my vitamins and trying to get enough sleep BUT I don't seem to have ANY energy. It doesn't matter how much I sleep. I am always tired. Also, somedays I feel sick or nauseated all day. My hubby says I need to eat more BUT when you are queasy that is not what you want to do at all. Has anybody else dealt with this at the this stage of their WLS journey? I am just curious. Is it normal or should I call my surgeon? My bloodwork was fine at my 1 year checkup so I just don't know. I feel like  should feel great all the time and I do feel like a new person BUT I just have felt like crap lately. Any suggestions? I am just frustrated I guess. Thanks for any advice or encouragement anyone can provide!

Amy 

poet_kelly
on 2/10/14 11:55 pm - OH

How much protein do you get in a typical day?

When you say your blood work was fine, what was your iron?  Ferritin?  B12?  Are you taking iron and B12?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BamaBelleAmy70
on 2/10/14 11:59 pm
RNY on 10/24/12

They said my iron level was fine and I take an Iron supplement everyday and B12 every other day. I am not sure about the Ferritin though. I probably don't get enough protein. I have developed an horrible adversion to protein shakes. If I try to drink one, it will make me throw up. I wish I could find one that didn't do that because I know it is physically impossible to eat enough protein in one day. So..I am just at a loss. HELP! 

BamaBelleAmy70
on 2/11/14 12:04 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Sorry!! AVERSION not Adversion to protein shakes! Stupid autocorrect! 

poet_kelly
on 2/11/14 12:08 am - OH

Why is it physically impossible for you to eat enough protein every day?  Most people at 16 months out can eat enough protein without using shakes.  I do use shakes still sometimes because I like having one for breakfast, but I can eat enough protein without a shake and I don't even eat meat.

My suggestions are to track how much protein you're getting for a few days.  You probably need at least 60 grams and many people need more like 75 grams or even more.  I also suggest giving your doc's office a call and asking for a copy of your last lab report.  Find out what your iron, ferritin and B12 levels are.  Low ferritin (which is like your iron storage) can make you really tired even if your iron level is good.  B12 lower than 550 often causes fatigue and other symptoms like depression and short term memory problems, but doctors frequently tell patients their B12 is OK when it's much lower than that, so it's really important to get the actual numbers.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BamaBelleAmy70
on 2/11/14 12:17 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Thanks Kelly! I will call my doctor and find out the numbers. I didn't realize all of that. When you are told it is fine, you just assume it is fine. I guess I don't eat enough. I am always in the back of mind worried about eating too much so I just stop eating probably before I should. Years of being obese and being told that you eat too much I guess can wear on your mind sometimes. Sometimes I think my mind hasn't caught up with my new body and my new healthy lifestyle. I do struggle with my diet some. I am not a big meat eater either so that is where I struggle too. Any suggestions on high protein foods? Anything would be a god send! 

poet_kelly
on 2/11/14 12:25 am - OH

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are excellent sources of protein and they are usually easy to eat.  Cheese is good, whether it's string cheese or a slice of cheese or whatever.  Beans are a good source of protein and they have lots of fiber, too, which is good.  Nuts are a good snack with protein and healthy fats.

I know it feels weird to think you need to eat more after so many years of being told you eat too much.  But really, just like eating too much is not healthy, not eating enough is not healthy, either.  Your body needs a certain amount of food, and certain kinds of food, to be healthy.  A lot of obese people are actually lacking in many nutrients because the food that tends to be really high in calories is often really low in nutrition.  I mean, potato chips and candy bars can make you pack on the pounds but they don't have much in the way of vitamins.

Candy V.
on 2/11/14 12:35 am, edited 2/11/14 12:47 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Kelly gave you great info already.

I just wanted you to know others get food pushed at them too!  My sisters keep after me to go to an ALL you can eat fish FRY!!   I keep telling them NO.  I don't do all you can eat anymore, AND I don't eat FRIED fish and French FRIES! 

My BMI is 22 and I get told I'm too thin. I am not, they are just used to me large.

ETA:  If you want to try Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie  I will mail you a scoop.  It comes in huge 5# bags.  I am happy to let you try it.  I mix it with 10 oz milk per scoop.  Is about 30 grams of protein with the milk.  We are friends already, so PM your address if you want some :)  Shipping is on me.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

PetHairMagnet
on 2/11/14 1:30 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM Pacific Time, Candy V. wrote:

Kelly gave you great info already.

I just wanted you to know others get food pushed at them too!  My sisters keep after me to go to an ALL you can eat fish FRY!!   I keep telling them NO.  I don't do all you can eat anymore, AND I don't eat FRIED fish and French FRIES! 

My BMI is 22 and I get told I'm too thin. I am not, they are just used to me large.

ETA:  If you want to try Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie  I will mail you a scoop.  It comes in huge 5# bags.  I am happy to let you try it.  I mix it with 10 oz milk per scoop.  Is about 30 grams of protein with the milk.  We are friends already, so PM your address if you want some :)  Shipping is on me.

I second this! My grown boys LOVE it and my older son always requests it in his care packages.

I make mine with almond milk or flax milk, some ice and WOW is it ever good!

But you really should be able to do a day of protein without a shake. I am 8 months out and can do a full day without a bar or shake if I so choose. I find having a bar and/or shake makes it easier for me, but if you do not like them, then try things like crab, shrimp and scallops which are high protein and (for me at least) go down easily. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 2/11/14 12:44 am - OH

Also, if you are having trouble getting enough protein from food, I bet people on this forum could help you find a shake you like.  Sometimes it's not just the brand, it's how you make it that makes it good.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views