My 600 lb Life

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/14 2:49 pm
Professor Sonja!!!!
on 2/19/14 1:03 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Lol that was funny as hell loll!!  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/19/14 1:33 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I have to admit,  I thought the same thing.

Why does he want to ruin his life again?  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

southernpeachnc
on 2/19/14 7:07 am

I do watch this program.  I realize it is "a reality program" meaning a lot of it is staged. It's designed to illicit reactions in the viewer.  It would not be as interesting if there was no conflict. It does disturb me that there is no psychiatric evaluations given and no classes on behavior to be taken.  I think most of us know that our problem with food is directly affected by our emotional behavior. I just wish this were included in the programming. Certainly the Dr isn't addressing it here.  I understand his son is responsible for getting this program on the air.  I can't help but guess as to how all these patients are able to eat these large portions.  It sure makes for getting us worked up alot when we see it.  Guess this is what they had in mind while cutting and pasting these scenes. 

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Jules0225
on 2/19/14 11:51 am, edited 2/19/14 11:55 am

Oh the rant I could go on about this show... Most of the time the people on the show infuriate me. Even some things the Dr. has said (carbonation will stretch your pouch... That's a lie buddy, but I suppose I can understand it from a 'scared straight' kind of perspective). 

Im just now watching the episode from last night. When I saw him eat that sausage at a month out I almost died. I'm 15 months out... Oh hey, today actually haha, and I can't and won't eat anything greasy like that. I struggle with a regular grilled pork chop (pork is just too tough to digest most times for me so I avoid it) so the thought of a sausage, with the skin, ahhhhhhh noooo! Watching him and his lady friend at dinner... Huge plates, drinking while eating, etc... Makes me want to scream. 

One thing that has always really bothered me about this show is that there's never any mention of a psych eval or anything. If anyone watched the show last week it was the first episode I saw where the patient sought out a therapist to see regularly post op. I was very happy to see that and you could really see just how much it helped her not only deal with her various demons but it really helped her with staying on track. To me I feel it was really the first time anyone on the show really recognized what an emotional roller coaster this journey really is and I think that's important. I feel like that's one thing that not many people who aren't wls patient realize. Speaking solely from my experience and the people I've encountered and my friends and family most don't realize just how hard this is mentally/emotionally. And I don't mean that in a bad way whatsoever. Take my best friend for example, she had a hard time understanding why my mind was taking so long to catch up. So kudos to the woman last week for seeing a therapist!!

Anyway I could go on but typing on my phone isn't the easiest thing in the world! HaHahaha

Oh! One last thing... The way the family members are on this show absolutely DISGUSTS me. Most are abusive and the WORST enablers I've ever seen. 

Ok. /endrant.

Now for a dance party to make everything better!

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

kellma699
on 2/19/14 12:19 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I just had was two weeks ago. Starting weight was 190, BMI 32 and some change. At one point I was as heavy as 257. That being said, I cannot imagine life at 600lbs. 257 was so miserable. 

I have a unique perspective on this...I have waited tables on and off for 23 years. My first job, I was 15 and I had a regular that had bypass and lost over 150lbs. At that time, in 1989 she was really a rarity. Not many people had was or admitted to it. Anyway, she ate very small portions. One egg and toast for breakfast. That kind of thing. Anyway, I Wait s on her for 5 years in a row. She never gained any weight in that time. I moved on to different jobs over the years. Fast forward to 2013, and she walks into the place I now work at, and she is thin as she was in 1989. I waited on her and her husband and she still eats very small portions.

Being a waitress, I am subjected to all kinds of bizarre eating behavior by my guests. You would not believe the amount of people that tell me they have had was, then proceed to order a ton of deep fried junk and eat a ton of it. I am always horrified by this. Why tell me and then eat what we all know you shouldn't be? I try not to judge, but as a bariatrics patient you should avoid those foods at all costs. I work in a chain that has a lot of healthy options on the menu, so there really is no excuse.

I fell for the people on the show. I just wish they had been recognized as such a risk at 300lbs or so and had surgery then. 

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

kellma699
on 2/19/14 12:21 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

*wls, not was. Silly auto correct.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

SkinnyScientist
on 2/19/14 11:41 pm

" One egg and toast for breakfast" Wow. This is more than I can eat now!  I am at 1 egg. I havent had bread in ages due to PCOS.

I hope that these small quantites will remain satisfying.

On healthy options at restaurants..some are better than others. My new fave is boston market because I had have the rotiserre chicken, green beans and spinach.  On of their meals lasts me 6 !!!  the best part of weight loss surgery is :1) the weight lost 2) the greatly diminished grocery bill!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

dustycroy
on 2/21/14 7:25 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Keep in mind that they might have had the "Duodenal Switch" surgery, in which case high fat is not a problem, In fact its encouraged.... Our bodies only retain about 20% of the fat we eat, and we very much need it for our hair, skin, and vitamin absorbtion. Just thought I would throw that out there...(@:

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

momjan
on 2/19/14 1:45 pm, edited 2/19/14 1:46 pm - Canada

I too have found the show intriguing.  All the comments are so true; how can someone eat that amount just out from surgery...how can you eat that much grease, sugar...whatever....and why have you not been told not to?  The thing that also surprises me is Dr. N. states 'eat more protein' to patients, but it never shows that he provides information as to good proteins like chicken, fish, beans, tofu, etc. or recipes or have someone teach them to cook these things rather than to just avoid fast food.  If you aren't given all the tools to change your diet you will fall back onto the old habits.  Also he doesn't suggest even trying protein shakes as a good way to get your protein amounts up, especially in the early days.

Now of course, perhaps he does do this, but the show doesn't give any indication of this and it leads people to believe that you can keep eating like you were 'only in smaller amounts'.  Which if you are smart you won't do as we all know we need to concentrate on proteins first, then veggies.  The local doctor here that does wl surgery seems to tell people this; I know of people who are eating breads, potatoes, rice, etc. and restaurant meals not long after surgery...but in smaller amounts.  And the ones I have seen have not reached their goals. 

By neglecting to provide this information in the show I think there is a disservice to all people that are considering wl surgery.  He never mentions anywhere of the 'honeymoon period' where you lose the most weight easiest. Many of these people seem to go past that period because they have been refusing to follow their diet plan in the beginning.  They would appear to be more successful sooner if there was more guidance given as to what type of food, recipes, teaching people to actually cook from scratch rather than convenience or pre-packaged 'food' that is too conveniently accessible to all.

And Grim....I think you are hilarious!!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?