Was thinking sleeve, but now RNY may be my best option

gabby169kitty
on 2/19/14 10:39 am

I was looking around my surgeons website and found a video she did. She talked about how how her patients, on average, a 70% EWL and sleeve has 60%. The 70% of the RNY would get me out of the obese range for BMI. My initial concern about RNY was one of my medications was XR which would be affected by the malabsorbtion. But I found out there is a non XR version, but would have to be taken twice a day instead of once. I can handle that. Does anyone find they have to crush meds to get them to absorb properly? I have a regular visit with my psychiatrist scheduled next week and will ask her about switching after I have surgery.

My BMI is slightly above 40 so I definitely qualify and my insurance covers it 100%. My insurance will even cover the supplements 100%.

The pre and post op is pretty extensive here is a link: http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/mankato/medical- services/bariatric-surgery/long-term-follow-up

poet_kelly
on 2/19/14 10:49 am - OH

I don't know of any reason you'd need to crush meds in order for them to absorb properly.  I don't crush any of my meds or vitamins and they seem to absorb fine.  Also, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery doesn't recommend crushing meds to help with absorption.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gabby169kitty
on 2/19/14 10:51 am

OH is an awesome place to get get answers quickly!

THANK YOU!

sherri04
on 2/19/14 11:07 am

I had an RNY 14 years ago and had two revisions since due to reflux.  If I could have my surgery today I would have the sleeve.  My friends that have had it do not feel hunger anymore and have lost lots of weight.  Some which did not loose all their weight went back and had the RNY after.  This is just my opinion and everyone has one but I do lots of research first.  Also, with the RNY you need liquid or gummy supplements.  It is hard for your body to absorb medicines.  I sometimes crush mine so they do not get stuck.

gabby169kitty
on 2/19/14 11:17 am

I of course will discuss both options with the surgeon. She obviously has more experience with deciding which option is the best for a particular situation.

chaly
on 2/19/14 3:23 pm
RNY on 11/05/13

Great idea speaking with your surgeon.  I do want to say though it is not necessary for liquid or gummy supplements.  In fact gummy were not recommended period by my surgeon.  I do a combination between caplets and chewable.  The caplets I choose to cut in half.  My husband however swallows his whole with no problems.

Jen Lyn
on 2/19/14 8:19 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I was told NOT to crush meds but I think it seems like a good idea in theory.

Ocalasam
on 2/19/14 9:12 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Definitely do your research on which surgery is best for you.  I have know people with lots of different results.  I have friends whom have had the sleeve and do get hungry and never do loose as much weight as RNY people do.  I also have friends that have had RNY and have gained a lot back.  I think it depends on the individual how they use their tool.  There is no need to take liquids or gummys.  Gummies are actually not recommended - I can't remember why - Poet Kelly will know.  I take all of my pills whole.  I get the calcium petites, which are still not tiny, but I can swallow them with no problems.  So far, RNY has worked great for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 51 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views