Will this ever end???

new_me180
on 2/27/14 10:51 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I had surgery a little over four months ago and not every thing has been smooth. Had an ulcer three weeks out and some irritation scratches last month. I've had constant stomach ache more often than not since surgery and on and off nausea. I am on the maximum dosage of PPI's and also take a coating med, sulcrate. Nothing seems to work although I take all my meds every day as prescribed. In the past week, my nausea has come back full force especially after meals. I can't drink water without feeling discomfort. Have seen the surgeon numerous times and called the clinic as well yesterday and always get the same reply of continue with the meds and follow up in a few months. I've also had two endoscopy's, CT's, US the whole ten yards. It's starting to get frustrating when I don't have answers. I hate going to the ER only to be told to there's nothing wrong. Was wondering what else can I ask for as all the test have returned normal, well, except for the ulcer and scratches?

This is annoying because it slows my weight loss down as I go of track and stop eating and drinking altogether when I don't feel well. Some support or advise would be really appreciated, thanks. 

dragonlove
on 2/27/14 12:29 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

I am sorry but I don't have any ideas for you. I just wanted to come on and tell you to hang in there.  Surely they will figure it out soon!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

new_me180
on 2/28/14 5:25 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

hanks for the support. I hope so they figure it out soon as well.

Patm
on 2/27/14 8:38 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

What you describe sounds awful. This is just a suggestion

You mention your nausea is on and off. Is there certain foods that make it worse. Are you having problems with dairy? If you can find something that does not make you nauseous eat that for a day then slowing add other food to see if anything in particular makes it worse.

new_me180
on 2/28/14 5:31 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Unfortunately there are no foods I can pin point.  have tolerated everything so far. My plan just doesn't allow me to have red meat meat until month six. So I eat fish, chicken and eggs everyday since I went onto solids and never had problems. I wish I could pin point the foods, it would be much easier.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/27/14 9:55 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, new_me180 wrote:

I had surgery a little over four months ago and not every thing has been smooth. Had an ulcer three weeks out and some irritation scratches last month. I've had constant stomach ache more often than not since surgery and on and off nausea. I am on the maximum dosage of PPI's and also take a coating med, sulcrate. Nothing seems to work although I take all my meds every day as prescribed. In the past week, my nausea has come back full force especially after meals. I can't drink water without feeling discomfort. Have seen the surgeon numerous times and called the clinic as well yesterday and always get the same reply of continue with the meds and follow up in a few months. I've also had two endoscopy's, CT's, US the whole ten yards. It's starting to get frustrating when I don't have answers. I hate going to the ER only to be told to there's nothing wrong. Was wondering what else can I ask for as all the test have returned normal, well, except for the ulcer and scratches?

This is annoying because it slows my weight loss down as I go of track and stop eating and drinking altogether when I don't feel well. Some support or advise would be really appreciated, thanks. 

I am not understanding why you have been to the ER at all. With a chronic issue, the ER is not the place for medical assistance. You need a good diagnostician who is aware of your entire history and can review, analyze and make appropriate decisions for tactical solutions and a strategic plan of action. The ER is a place for immediate triage and action in a short term situation. 

Have you requested a panel review with the various providers outside of the ER to discuss your case? I have friends who have done that to determine the root cause of a chronic issue and found great assistance through that. It is long and tiring to get through, but if you work with a coordinator you may find that they can ease the path for you. Hopefully all the providers are in the same medical network. 

Have you discussed a feeding tube in the short term to get you nutrition and resolve the nausea?  I am problem free, but plain water can be vexing, so try a different liquid, even if it is adding flavoring to the water, as the tension is (as I have been told) different and can feel differently to your pouch.

Good luck to you-but please avoid the ER and work with consistent providers for the best overall result.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

new_me180
on 2/28/14 5:53 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

The only reason I go to the ER is when the clinic tells me to or when I keep throwing up. So I go to the same hospital where they did my surgery. I am able to eat and drink even with the nausea most of the times so at this point, I don't think a feeding tube is necessary. The centre I'm at has the surgeon, nurse, dietician and social worker. So when I have a problem I speak to the nurse who then relays the message to the Dr. It's not really a "team" as the surgeon is the only one who makes all the decisions, it's different in Canada. Thanks, I will ask the doc next time I see him what other possibilities there might be.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/28/14 11:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM Pacific Time, new_me180 wrote:

The only reason I go to the ER is when the clinic tells me to or when I keep throwing up. So I go to the same hospital where they did my surgery. I am able to eat and drink even with the nausea most of the times so at this point, I don't think a feeding tube is necessary. The centre I'm at has the surgeon, nurse, dietician and social worker. So when I have a problem I speak to the nurse who then relays the message to the Dr. It's not really a "team" as the surgeon is the only one who makes all the decisions, it's different in Canada. Thanks, I will ask the doc next time I see him what other possibilities there might be.

Oh gosh, I hate to hear you are working through relayed messages. That must be frustrating!

Hugs to you-I hope that you get some answers soon!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

new_me180
on 2/28/14 2:42 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks for the hugs and support.

Spots- N-Dots
on 2/28/14 12:40 am

I am sorry to hear about your stomach aches/nausea. It can seem so frustrating at times so hang in there.

I know water still makes me uncomfortable when I drink it but I can eat crushed ice chips without any trouble. Try some ice chips..anything to get in the fluids. I had a patch for nausea that I wore behind my ear. It helped a lot. It only needed to be changed every two days so it wasn't too much of a hassle either. Is this something you can ask your doctor about?

Good luck and hope your feel better soon.

" Never let your dreams rust "   

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 238 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 110 views